Removing the engine and transmission.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truemagnum15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
My husband has a 1999 Ram 1500 with a 360 automatic engine with 4 wheel drive. He is preparing to remove the engine and ship it back east in order to have it remanufactured. In the meantime, he will need to inspect the transfer case, as he has lost 4wheel drive and the chain inside the transfer case can be heard clanking around when driving. He would like to know if it is possible to remove engine and transmission as one unit through the front of the vehicle instead of having to jockey things around to remove them separately. Thank you.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Very possible. Unbolt and drop transfer case from the rear of the transmission (must remove driveshaft as well). Unbolt trans linkage and trans from cross member. Remove transmission cooling lines. Also remove vehicle hood. Now when you lift the engine it'll tip back from the weight of the trans do account for that but it'll come out if you have enough height on the hoist.cam also remove the radiator and core support if you can't get it up high enough

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You'll need an engine hoist with an adjustable lifting beam at the hook end to allow for tipping the engine up.

It may be that he won't have enough clearance to get the engine/trans out as one unit unless he removes the radiator and radiator core support.

Tell him Good Luck from RamForum!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I've pulled plenty of engines+transmissions out of Semi's this way. As long as you take it slow, and keep your hands clear you will be fine.

I can't stress enough keeping your hands away from everything while the engine is on the hoist. If you must manipulate the engine, use rope or chain. You will not stop that engine+trans if it decides to catch on something then let go. It will crush whatever is between it and another piece of metal. Diesel engines from road trucks are much heavier, but these small gassers are nothing to gawk at.
One of the guys I went to school with was pulling the engine and trans from his jeep, something got hung up and he tried to free it with his hands. It let loose and crushed his hand against the bumper, he lost that hand.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All ways work except pulling with T-case case still attached. I've pulled them both ways and sometimes I find it easier with pulling the trans and t-case as one unit and the engine as another, but that's cause it's always been on a cummins and its too much weight for most engine hoists.

Also its also easier to jocky the motor out with removing the radiator and support up front, its more work but not as hard to get it out.... sometimes its actually quicker even with the extra work.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I haven't pulled a newer than 76 transfer case. Mine was shaped like an oval, inclined at like a 45 degree angle, so it was very awkward to balance on a floor jack. Maybe the transfer cases are shaped differently, now, or maybe they have jack saddles specifically designed for suporting them securely. Good luck. If he can get a mechanically-inclined buddy to help, that might be a good idea.

OP
OP
T

Truemagnum15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Thank you ever so much. His questions have been answered. He does have a buddy that is planning on helping him too, by the way. Now all we need to do is figure out where my starter relay is located on my car so he no longer needs to pull me to start me and we are in business lol