Replacing the gasket pan...what else should I get done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Hi,

I have a slight leak from the tranny gasket pan and will be getting it replaced tomorrow. Couple of questions:

i) Is it a straightforward fix? A guy I know is doing it, but usually I would take it to the garage. Should I leave it for the guys at the garage?

ii) Is there anything else I should get done on it at the same time? He suggested doing a fluid change (not a flush) and gasket filter at the same time.

The truck is a '98 Dodge Ram and the transmission was replaced 50,000 miles ago. As far as I know, the fluids have not been touched since.

Any advice much appreciated as supposed to be getting this done tomorrow!

Thanks!

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If he knows what he's doing and you trust him no reason not to. I agree with him may as well change the fluid and filter. Sounds like you got it under control :)

OP
OP
K

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Sounds good! One other question. What tranny fluid should he use? Is there anything particular to use for a '98 Dodge Ram? Should he try to catch the existing stuff and use that? It doesn't have a drain plug, so don't want to risk dirt getting into the existing fluids. Although, the existing fluids look in decent condition.

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
ATF+4, nothing else. But at 50,000 you're due to change the fluid and filter so sounds like good timing. Don't be cheap and try to reuse fluid. Just buy the couple quarts and fill it with new.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My truck took almost 7 qts of fluid, so be prepared for that expense.

Fluid, filter and band adjustment and you'll be good for another 30k.

Which, being your trans only has 50k on it, unless be FUBARs something, you shouldn't have any problems with changing the fluid every 30k.

OP
OP
K

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Thanks guys. So is ATF+4 the best fluid to go with then? I see Walmart sells it. Any idea how much do put into a '98 Dodge Ram? I get the impression this guy hasn't worked all that much with Dodge trucks.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
ATF+4 is the ONLY fluid you should be putting in it.

Anything else will cause the trans to grenade itself.

If your guy hasn't worked on Dodge trucks much, find someone else. The Dodge transmissions are not for people that aren't willing to take their time or for people that haven't worked with them.

If you read my post above yours, you'd have seen that my truck took 7.5 qts (I looked at my spreadsheet and found the actual number I put in). I have the stock pan, and tranny cooler. That's what mine took, so I'd wager yours would be similar.

OP
OP
K

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Dodge Dude, I'm starting to wonder if I should just leave the truck as it is and not mess with it. It hasn't leaked in a couple of weeks now and when I took it in a month ago, the mechanic in the shop said the tranny looked in great shape along with the fluids. Also, the guy who was going to do the fluid and filter change said he doesn't have the tools to do a band adjustment.

When's a good time to actually get the fluids changed and the filter swapped out? I don't want to mess with the truck if don't need to as it does already have 198k miles on it!

Maybe I'll just wait until I pick up a tranny pan with a drain plug on it and have the garage fit it.

Anyways..thanks again for the advice.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You said that the transmission had been rebuilt 50,000 mi ago. The fluid should have been replaced 20,000 mi ago. All manuals specify that for the longest service life, the transmission is to be serviced every 30k. Service encompasses a fluid and filter change as well as a band adjustment.

For the band adjustment, the only special tool you need is an INCH pound torque wrench. That's it. Everything else an individual should already have in his tool box.

Also, learning from prior experience here, just because it quit leaking doesn't mean it won't start again. lol

Drain plugs are a good idea, however it doesn't change the fact that when changing the fluid, you NEED to drop the pan. The only thing the drain plug does it keep you from getting soaked in ATF when you don't quiiiiite drop the pan properly (ask me how I know this....). So you use the plug to drain the pan, then you drop it to replace the filter.

OP
OP
K

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
lol. Yeah, you are right about the leak. Nothing yet, but I know as OCD as I am, checking every day I will see something soon.

So, the band adjustment. What exactly is that and is it something that you definitely recommend getting done? Not sure why this guy said he didn't have the tools for it. Makes me think I ought to take it my regular shop and pay the extra $100 to have it done there.

When taking it to the shop to have the fluids done, what is typical? Do you usually buy the fluid yourself ahead of time so you know what they are going to be using? Or do they just use stuff that they have on hand? Haven't had this done before :)

Cheers.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
lol. Yeah, you are right about the leak. Nothing yet, but I know as OCD as I am, checking every day I will see something soon.

So, the band adjustment. What exactly is that and is it something that you definitely recommend getting done? Not sure why this guy said he didn't have the tools for it. Makes me think I ought to take it my regular shop and pay the extra $100 to have it done there.

When taking it to the shop to have the fluids done, what is typical? Do you usually buy the fluid yourself ahead of time so you know what they are going to be using? Or do they just use stuff that they have on hand? Haven't had this done before :)

Cheers.
Hey, nothing wrong with being OCD! I know I was and it paid off. :roflsquared:

What the band adjustment does it tightens the friction bands that go on the drums inside the transmission. If it hasn't been done in a bit, a fluid/filter change plus band adjustment can MAJORLY firm up the way the transmission behaves. I know it did with my truck.

If a mechanic says he can do your fluid change but doesn't know what is involved with the band adjustment on a Dodge transmission, I'd be taking it somewhere else. lol

When I had mine done, I asked the shop about what fluid they were going to use (to test their knowledge), the guy said ATF+4 at $7 a qt, which is presumably the Valvoline ATF4. I personally used Walmart ATF+4 for my two changes and have had zero issues as of yet. Walmart SuperTech atf is $4 a qt and at 7.5 qts, it's definitely cheaper than anything else. lol

You'll know they used the wrong ATF if afterword your transmission starts ******** at you. lol