Rockers off for head removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mok4200

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As the title states, do I need to remove the rocker arms to remove/install the head? Just changed my head gasket then someone said "You need to remove your rocker arms and retighten in sequence", any truth to this?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
As the title states, do I need to remove the rocker arms to remove/install the head? Just changed my head gasket then someone said "You need to remove your rocker arms and retighten in sequence", any truth to this?

Yes and no, you should to avoid potentially bending the pushrods when you lift the heads, but if you're replacing them I wouldn't bother, save it all for the bench.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, remove the rocker arms.
How would you reinstall the head with the rocker arms installed on the head? you would need 6 hands to line up all the pushrods

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Yes, remove the rocker arms.
How would you reinstall the head with the rocker arms installed on the head? you would need 6 hands to line up all the pushrods

He said remove, you must take them off to reinstall, but you dont NEED to in order to remove, its just a smart thing to do.