Roots-blown, fuel-injected Magnum. Can it be done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
At heart, I'm really a naturally-aspirated guy, but as a car guy that's always intrigued by different approaches to making power, I've always held a fascination with forced induction. My personal favorite being the old-school, Roots-style supercharger. Y'know, the belt-driven air tank looking thing that sticks out of the hood and makes really cool whirring sounds from idle all the way to wide open throttle.

Anyway, as much as I have looked around, it seems that such a blower doesn't seem readily available for small block Mopar V8s. Not only am I interested in an old school blown setup, but I am also interested in running such a setup with the OEM multi-port fuel injection.

Tuning shouldn't be a problem as I'm sure Ryan could scribble something up to run dandy and I know that the pistons will want to be swapped with something with a nice, deep dish to shave the static compression ratio. And intake and cam, blah blah blah. What I want to know is can a Roots-style blower be mated to a Magnum engine without going though too much trouble? I do know that LA heads won't work with a Magnum block due to valvetrain oiling issues, but Magnum heads can be made with bolt patterns for either style intake manifold.

Roots blower. Magnum engine. Fuel injection. Can it be done without costing a small fortune?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Not without a small fortune no. Indy makes pieces to do this but $$$ and very custom. In the end it's not really worth it when for 3k you can have a procharger and bracket

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The only problem that I'm aware of regarding centrifuges is they require relatively high RPMs in order to run maximum boost. I do know that the boost and "curve" can be changed on a turbo by manipulating the wastegate, but centrifugal blowers are driven by a belt rather than exhaust flow. Would the size of the pulley adjust a centrifuge like a turbo?

Bottom line is can a centrifuge be setup to generate maximum boost at lower RPMs?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The only problem that I'm aware of regarding centrifuges is they require relatively high RPMs in order to run maximum boost. I do know that the boost and "curve" can be changed on a turbo by manipulating the wastegate, but centrifugal blowers are driven by a belt rather than exhaust flow. Would the size of the pulley adjust a centrifuge like a turbo?

Bottom line is can a centrifuge be setup to generate maximum boost at lower RPMs?

I'm pretty sure it can be slightly modified, but not to max boost on a run of the mill blower. As far as i'm aware, the old style vane blowers could be operated up to about a max of 10Krpm, but thats pushing it. Since it will have to handle redline for at least a short period of time, that limits the low rpm speed. I'm not sure about the centrifugal type. I just know about the blowers on the old two stroke detroits. If you set it up at the same drive ratio as the old 91 and 92 series blowers would self destruct at around 4500 engine rpm, I think the blowers were up near 10.8krpm.

Flyinryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
The Procharged 360 I did that made 525/644 made peak tq between 3k and 4k rpm. Just my .02

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Also, not sure about now, but back when I had my 2000 R/T 5.9, Kenne bell made a roots style blower set-up for the magnums. Not many guys went that route though, mucho bucks.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Also, not sure about now, but back when I had my 2000 R/T 5.9, Kenne bell made a roots style blower set-up for the magnums. Not many guys went that route though, mucho bucks.

No longer made and they generated a lot of heat without a lot of cfm