Rough acceleration and other issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pmbreen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l v8
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and to dodge vehicles.

To start off I have a 1999 scsb 1500 w/ a 5.2l v8 and auto trani its the slt package.

Been going crazy to try and solve my problems but havnt found a straight answer online yet.

I have recently(past week) replaced the following parts.

Tps
Iac
Ignition coil
Air filter
Plugs
Plug wires
Dist cap
Dist rotor
Both 02 sensors
Recharged the ac

The original issue with the truck was and still is rough acceleration with bucking/surging (use to sound like it was miss-firing now its just rough.

Checked the fuel pressure and I was at 50psi

Gas millage is terrible and I'm have a lot of fuel coming out of my exhaust.(coming out black and leaving a stain on my garage door)

Cat has a little rattle in it but don't think its completely shot yet

Sometimes I can take the truck and drive it around the neighbor hood for a good 5 min and then slam on the gas it will chug and accelerate poorly but after a few times of the it takes off pretty good at wot.

Still hesitates slightly under mild acceleration but if I park it in the drive and turn it off set for 1-2min and turn it back on it will run rough under acceleration again.

Seems to idle fine, no surging.

Shifts fine.

Looked it the throttle body and didnt see any puddle of oil so not sure of the intake gasket is bad.

The ac has a leak in the line but after being charged it blows cold out of the front vents but once I accelerate it switches just to defrost.

Coolant looks good and oil too so I don't think the head gaskets blown.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sounds like it's rich.

What O2 sensors did you use? Bosch? If you used Bosch, that's not helping.

These trucks HATE Bosch O2s.
NTK or Denso are the ONLY approved O2 sensors for these trucks.

You might also think about the coolant temp sensor. Might be malfunctioning and making the PCM dump fuel.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the air coming out of different locations when you accelerate, it sounds like you have a vacuum leak.

Your TPS, IAC and O2 (like stated above) might still be your problem.
Some say these sensors NEED to be dealer parts. Almost all say the O2 sensors should be NTK or Denso. These trucks are finicky with what you put in them.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
For TPS and IAC, Standard Motor Products sensors have been proven to work well on most trucks. Some have used BWD with success, as well, but SMP so far is the best ones besides MOPAR.

wingnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
How does the exhaust sound? Slightly "off"? I'm wondering if your catalytic convertor is clogged. An OBD scan would probably say all sorts of O2 failures. Have you taken it to Autozone to get their "entry-level" scan? When mine did it,it sounded like the motor was fighting something. Here's a link to diagnose a bad cat. How to Diagnose a Bad Catalytic Converter

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^Also, if your cat is clogged, your plenum is likely blown and you need to replace it.