RPM's fluctuate on my dodge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98dodgegirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 5.9
Ive noticed in the last month or two, that my RPM's have been fluctuating when im at a steady speed. It sounds like my truck has a heart beat. Nothing happens when they fluctuate but its got me a little worried. I changed my spark plugs but havent done my boots yet. So i was hoping its a simple fix and not my transmission goin out on me, ive only had the truck for just about a year.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clean your throttle body

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Clean your throttle body yes...but the symptoms(driving down the road at a steady mph) indicate a bad throttle position sensor or TPS...or wiring fault.

If you have a volt/ohm, meter you can test it...google "testing a TPS" and tun the voltage test. You'll also need some paper clips you can make probes out of.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have the TPS tested and don't find any dead spots, it might be time for a new TCCC (torque converter control circuit)...it's a pretty common problem with the Gen2 trucks. It will also make your RPM's fluctuate, cause the torque converter is locking and unlocking. How big of a RPM swing are you experiencing? Is it when you're driving over 65MPH?

OP
OP

98dodgegirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 5.9
I will test my TSP and let you all know as soon as I find out. Also it does it when I'm in cruse control as well as not. Also 100 RPM fluctuation max and it's anywhere between 45-65 MPH.

97CAMORAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
Mine does the same...acceleration is good after cleaning the throttle body, but once i level out at a constant speed between 45 and 60 it'll act almost like a sputter and continue unless i let off the gas and then accelerate. still havent figured it out, but im gonna try these things...if you solve your issue please post :)

BigDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Several years ago I experienced a similar issue with my 99 Durango. The transmission was rebuilt under warranty by the dealer but it didn't solve the problem. Turns out a bad O2 sensor was the culprit. I thought no way, but when they replaced the O2 sensor it solved the problem.

Just another suggestion...

Elanora

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fresh your accelerator body yes...but the symptoms like driving in the future at a stable mph indicate a bad accelerator place indicator or TPS...or cabling mistake.. . . . . . .

bahamacris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2
Hi there. Got the same problem and more. I'm going to rebuild the transmission myself and change solenoids. Mine fluctuates when shifts. Once in 4th it runs like new.

Lilbigjohnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 rpm jump

Ok. I'm having the same problem with my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 545rfe. I did try changing my transmission fluid and filters. I also changed the air filter with a cold air intake. It finally popped a code P0740 which is a generic code for the the torque converter circuit. I took it to RPM automotive and checked to see if the SB 18-011-12 (software update) was installed. It was. Since the code was with the transmission they said the only thing they could do is change the tranny. I decided to drop off my baby at AAMCO today 02/25/2016. I will follow up with the final diagnosis and fix.
Also, I have seen people talking about grounding the TB. Being an Aircraft mechanic and working on vehicles for half my life I shook my head at this, but I did try it to see what would happen. I used a braided 14Gauge wire. Used the fwd left mounting bolt and the body ground. Didn't see much of anything. I will give it another shot later, and post what I noticed.

Lilbigjohnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Results

Ok. I wanted to post what the issue and fix for my truck. I wish more people would do this. Note: My dodge has 77,000 miles on it.
New banner kit
New filters
New fluid
Torque converter
Molded Pistons
Steels set
Solenoid block assy
Pressure sensor
Trans-go shift kit
Grand total of $3,321. With a 3yr 36,000 mile warranty
This sucked! Lol but my truck is running awesome again. I recommend AAMCO and getting the shift kit installed. I hope this information helps someone.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Ok. I wanted to post what the issue and fix for my truck. I wish more people would do this. Note: My dodge has 77,000 miles on it.
New banner kit
New filters
New fluid
Torque converter
Molded Pistons
Steels set
Solenoid block assy
Pressure sensor
Trans-go shift kit
Grand total of $3,321. With a 3yr 36,000 mile warranty
This sucked! Lol but my truck is running awesome again. I recommend AAMCO and getting the shift kit installed. I hope this information helps someone.

Too many bad reviews about aamco. Also wrong section lol