Running obnoxiously rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Well it's been pointed out to me many times now that the ol 5.2 is running disgustingly rich. Not sure what I should do here, going to try a tune up on payday and see if it helps but if not I'm taking suggestions!

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Have a local auto store see if you are generating any codes with their reader. Sounds like it's running in safe/limp home mode.

Could it also be running cool, possibly bad thermostat, which will also result in a rich condition.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Just thought of this.....make sure you don't have ANY exhaust leaks in front of the upstream O2 sensor, this will throw the PCM off and make it run pig rich.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
Well it's been pointed out to me many times now that the ol 5.2 is running disgustingly rich. Not sure what I should do here, going to try a tune up on payday and see if it helps but if not I'm taking suggestions!

what makes you think it's running rich?

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
I would do as dd94 suggested and check for leaks

Leak at the y-pipe and can't get it gone. seems to not fit right... What do I do to solve this issue? If it's from a 97 will it fit my 98... If not I'll get another y pipe and cat, simple as that

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
When you can smell unburned fuel you might be running rich

not necessarily so. If you smell unburned fuel, maybe it makes your eyes water. that can be from lean misfire.

Mbrp.Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi. Mbrp catback, k&n cai
Hmm

Put a sparkler in your exhaust. Rev your engine, it could ignite

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Leak at the y-pipe and can't get it gone. seems to not fit right... What do I do to solve this issue? If it's from a 97 will it fit my 98... If not I'll get another y pipe and cat, simple as that

Welder up!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yes it will.
I assume it's leaking at the collectors? Un-bolt it. Get all-thread bolts of the same size. Bolt up the passenger side first and run that mother down. On the driver-side the pipe should be easier to move just slightly. Ratchet straps and boards wedged between the pipe and the frame rail should be able to get you lined up. Run the nuts on those bolts down hard.

Ask me how I know....lol.

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
not necessarily so. If you smell unburned fuel, maybe it makes your eyes water. that can be from lean misfire.

It's a full factory truck that use to get 12-14 per gallon and now it gets 8. It's getting more gas than air

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Yes it will.
I assume it's leaking at the collectors? Un-bolt it. Get all-thread bolts of the same size. Bolt up the passenger side first and run that mother down. On the driver-side the pipe should be easier to move just slightly. Ratchet straps and boards wedged between the pipe and the frame rail should be able to get you lined up. Run the nuts on those bolts down hard.

I actually have the plates bent I have them so far cranked, I'm thinking I should ram them further with my air ratchet for good measure. I could be mistaking a sticky lifter for an exhaust leak though, it's time for an adjustment so maybe they can look at it for me

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Yes it will.

Actually it turns out I have a broken manifold bolt...