Scp tuner and plenum issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I've got the death flash ecu, i've got that little sticker saying something stupid about an 01 factory reflash piece of my ecu. One of the techs at the dealer confirmed that I had a 'patched' ecu when I was getting some new key fobs.

I'm looking at getting one of the Scp tuners with the 10 tunes built in as i've done nothing enough to the engine to warrant a custom tune. Currenty there is no pinging at all under any conditions. I havent done any in depth plenum checks or I would've just fixed it in the first place.

My question is, with no indications of the gasket being bad, what are the chances that a tune will cause problems requiring me to fix the plenum. Also as far as I can tell the upper hasnt been removed in at least 8 years.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Plenum isn't a matter of if but when. You can try to delay it but might as well do it and get it over with.

As for the sct, it doesn't come WITH tunes. It can HOLD 10 tunes but doesn't come WITH them. Tunes come from somebody who writes them such as FlyinRyan (good) or hemifever (bad). You receive them via email and upload them into the handheld programmer and from there into your truck

OP
OP
D

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Plenum isn't a matter of if but when. You can try to delay it but might as well do it and get it over with.

Ok, I should have figured as much. Edit: after reading some of your posts as well as the other accepted authority around here, i'll just get a felpro gasket and check the bolts just because it will make me feel better. I'll be checking everything else available to my eyes while i've got it off. Aside from the distributor is there anything else I should consider replacing?

I'll spend more time looking to the tuners than the 5mins i spent at work yesterday.

Thanks for the advice.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Thermostat, injector o rings, not the distributor just the cap and rotor (do not spin the distributor).

If you plan on keeping the truck mostly stock Edge would be a good option as far as tuners go. Cheaper than the sct, comes with some basic canned tunes that are better than superchips, same extra functions as superchips with addition of being able to monitor things like trans temp. Not a crazy 100hp increase or anything like that but for things like exhaust throttle body and cotton filter it's a good thing to add