SCT tune by Flyin' Ryan - First Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
After months of waiting, I've finally acquired an SCT with a 91 tune. As per Pepper's suggestion, I had the tune written by Ryan Hogan (Flyin' Ryan). Just went out for my first drive and I can sum it up in one word: Awesome!

0-70 is like nothing now, especially since the overdrive shift point has been bumped up quite a bit. I can hit 80 before I even reach the first hill on my daily work route whereas before I had to wait until I crested it to reach the mark. Average speed on hills has increased by 5 MPH. I can actually keep up with cars going uphill now! I suppose that I have no excuse for being late to work now, LOL.

On the return route, I kicked off the overdrive before zipping up the steep little ******* and dug in. I hit 70 before I even reached it and was running 80 before cresting. I've never done that before. I can only imagine what kind of speed she'll reach on the flat with O/D off. Probably never truly find out, she gets a little floaty north of 85, LOL.

No issues, no quirks, no sacrifices and no knocking. Just improved performance across the board. I'm very happy overall. For $400, I would definitely recommend.

And this will conclude my quest for performance for the year. Got plenty of other things that need a cash boost at the moment, LOL. Next year, I'm hoping for headers and 1.7's. Maaaybe a cam swap. And of course, Ryan will be my go-to guy for any re-tunes.

Leave late, drive fast, arrive early!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
What speed is your overdrive engaging at now? I've been out of country for 2 months now and can't remember lol

Glad you like it man! Great thing is that canned tune you got will support the larger tb, headers and exhaust, 1.7s all that. The m1 version like i have will support the same but for the m1/airgap as an addition. His dyno results for these canned tunes he's built are pretty crazy, the m1 version for example has shown an increase of 45wtq over stock.

Tryin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
A little floaty north of 85! LMAO!!

One word back ... Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Now I kind of wish I had had my truck tuned before she got sold. Good report!

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
https://www.frptuning.com

That's his site. At the moment, he seems to prefer contact by phone as his site doesn't have a form to fill with your specs and that's obviously what he needs to write the perfect tune. After talking with him, he e-mailed me a form to fill out and we went from there.

It was a nice, detailed form as well. Everything from induction and exhaust to gear ratio and tire size are covered.

Next time I chat with him, I'll have to suggest some vinyls to send out as well. I'd slap his logo on my window if I had one.

Pepper: My O/D shifts somewhere between 60-65 during average acceleration but delays until 70 under heavier throttle. I didn't know that the shift point had been increased at first, so I was initially worried that the re-flash screwed something up when the tranny didn't shift into O/D at 40 like I'm used to, LOL.

Mohpar: You had a Crane cam if I remember it right, yes? If Ryan's tuning can make this much of a difference with my factory (original 180,000 mile) cam, I bet he could've really worked a trick or two with that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So, I filled the tank and reset the trip meter in order to measure any changes in fuel economy.

As much as I hate to say it, but my fuel economy did take a fair dive. Prior to the tune, I was running 12 MPG. After a week's worth of driving, I've dropped down to 10. Ouch! I suspect the drastically increased shift point of the O/D engagement may be the main reason for this, especially when the the engine is cold and warming up.

Oh well. I didn't buy the tune for fuel economy, I bought it for performance! And performance is what I got and I am still happy with it. I just thought that I'd let y'all know that tuning may actually cost you fuel economy. Now granted, I drive 75+ pretty much everyday now, so perhaps I would gain more if I kept things to 70-. But that's just no fun, LOL.

I'd still do it again and would still recommend for those who want more power and are willing to sacrifice some MPG (what little there are to sacrifice, LOL). And as I've said before, you don't drive a second-gen Ram for fuel economy.

A little floaty north of 85! LMAO!!

One word back ... Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During my first run, I ran about 3/4 throttle on the flat and hit 90. The truck was continuing to accelerate, but I let off after that. Even with O/D, I would bet that I could nail the 100 mark. Now, WOT with the O/D off, I would wager that I could bury the speedo which tops out at 120. A bet that I would never make though, because the Ram doesn't hold the road as tight as my old Prelude used to. Plus, I'm still running 180,000 mile valvetrain parts and don't need to torch them any sooner than I have to, LOL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ignore the previous post. I have detected that my friggin driver's side caliper has been sticking shut and I believe that it marred the results of my testing. I am going to clean up the guide pins and see if that helps and then I will run the test again.

Funny thing is, even with a sticky caliper, my truck still runs stronger with the tune than it did prior to the tune without a sticky caliper.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sticky caliper is probably what was killing your mileage.

Flyinryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
The vast majority of people see a 1-2 mpg increase on average. It's a subjective thing but I'd expect the sticking caliper to be the cause of your fuel economy woes.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, for some reason I've had nothing but problems with my front calipers. My passenger side original one froze up years ago, but I was broke as hell at the time and could only afford to replace just it. Shortly after, the driver's side one froze up, so pops and I replaced it. Now the driver's side one is gumming up again. SOB...

Anyone got a good recommendation for replacements? I know that I live back on a mile and a half worth's of gravel, but I really should think that I can get more than a couple years out of a friggin' brake caliper. Or perhaps I should just pull the pins every month and clean/regrease them. I really need to get a proper jack though. Our current one just barely has enough range to lift a truck and it fades pretty bad (Harbor Freight, LOL).

On that note, are the later year two-piston calipers a direct swap? Seems like a cheap way to boost braking power.

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I also live on a long gravel road I have regular cleaned up all my brake calipers on all my cars for years. I still have my factory calipers on my truck and my cars are 22 yrs old

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, for some reason I've had nothing but problems with my front calipers. My passenger side original one froze up years ago, but I was broke as hell at the time and could only afford to replace just it. Shortly after, the driver's side one froze up, so pops and I replaced it. Now the driver's side one is gumming up again. SOB...

Anyone got a good recommendation for replacements? I know that I live back on a mile and a half worth's of gravel, but I really should think that I can get more than a couple years out of a friggin' brake caliper. Or perhaps I should just pull the pins every month and clean/regrease them. I really need to get a proper jack though. Our current one just barely has enough range to lift a truck and it fades pretty bad (Harbor Freight, LOL).

On that note, are the later year two-piston calipers a direct swap? Seems like a cheap way to boost braking power.

lol I've put both calipers on mine, not that long after buying the truck.

They all suck tbh. 94-6 2500LD are larger and a direct swap. 00-01 dual pistons require different mounts...aka you would need to swap knuckles.