Shaking/Wobbling at 40mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fifteenhundred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 230 hp V8
Hi everyone,
I thought I'd share an experience I had with my Ram, and get your feedback. Over the past few months, I've noticed a gradually worsening creaking sound when I go over bumps. A friend told me that it might be my idler arm, or some other front end issue. About a month ago, I changed my oil, and then took the truck for a spin. During the drive, when I reached 40mph, my truck would shake violently, but would stop when I decelerated below 40 mph. I thought it was probably time to assess the front end.

My truck is 2WD, so I'm thinking that there would be no true death wobble. But I've read a few forums, and 2WD owners have reported the violent shaking coinciding with front end problems (e.g. pitman arm, idler arm, etc.), a few even saying it would start happening at 40-50mph.
I thought I'd replace the idler arm, but ended up replacing the idler arm, pitman arm, center link, and both inner tie rods. :Stupid Me:

After replacing those parts I took the truck for another spin (I haven't had it realigned yet), and it was still shaking at 40 mph. :Stupid Me:

My brother, who has a jeep cherokee told me he had a similar problem, but just changed the spark plugs, and that that fixed the problem. I didn't even consider this because I had changed the plugs about two years ago (maybe 10,000).
So, I changed the spark plugs today. The spark plugs were worn and all gaps about .010 in. too wide. The truck is no longer shaking at 40 mph. It's driving much smoother now. Is anyone familiar with this problem. Could there be something else (besides cheap ass spark plugs) that could cause the spark plugs to wear down so fast?

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I don't think .010 over sounds unusal for worn plugs (especially coppers) though I'm no expert on spark plugs. When i changed my plugs last Spring, i compared the new ones to the old ones after gapping and the old ones had a visually larger gap. They were basic el cheapo Champion copper plugs and also only had about 10,000 miles on them.

I had a '92 Honda Prelude that would occasionally start shaking violently above 40 MPH. It always stopped when I pumped the brakes a few times, so I suspected it was a sticking front brake caliper especially as there would be a strong smell of burning brake as I slowed down. I never confiremed it though as I sold the car shortly after (project car + no budget = certain fail).

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
check all front end parts for them being loose or worn out and i do mean everything also could be a bad tire or tires just a thought they will make the truck shake even thought they might look good try and rotate them and see if they still do it

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sounds like a severe low-RPM misfire that's manifesting itself throughout the chassis

swillest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Possible xcase engaing/disengaging @ 40MPH? I know that is a common issue with transfer cases.

Rumble Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360ci Gas
Might want too check into a steering box/gear brace, i've heard they can cause some nasty wobble in 2nd gens.

txtrucker75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
I had the same problem with my 97 dodge ram 1500 I thought it was the front end and it wasn't it ended up being my right front rotor had a crack in it and was making it wobble from 0-40mph.

swillest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put the front end up in the air- spin the tires make sure there is little to no friction. then I would do the poor man's method of testing front end parts- wobble the tire either up and down, or side to side depending on diagnosing which front end part.