Shifting problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Manuel6155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
I have a 99 Dodge Ram 2500 v10 automatic I live in Colorado Springs my truck shifts fine here in the springs but when I get in high altitude like woodland park I will stop my truck at a gas station or something turn it back on and it won't shift out of first gear this only happens at high altitudes in the mountain but when I get back in the springs turn it off and turn it back on works perfectly fine things I have done change map sensor. Unhooked battery for extended period of time and **** off truck and back on multiple times but dosnt work out of ideas has anyone have this problem? Or any idea what is wrong.. Of course I have asked mechanics but I think they want money because they say I need a new tranny but than why the hell does it work fine in the springs but not in the mountains. Any help will be amazing oh and it is 4x4 quad

Last edited:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Welcome to RF

Sounds like it might be the two solinods in the tranny but i am no auto expert. Send dapepper9 a pm or hunt him up he knows abit about these things

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Welcome to RF

Sounds like it might be the two solinods in the tranny but i am no auto expert. Send dapepper9 a pm or hunt him up he knows abit about these things

So I'm the trans guy now? Lol uh oh

I agree though sounds like it might be a problem with the governor pressure solenoid and governor sensor. I say this because it takes pressure readings of the fluid and oil and hydraulic fluid (atf) will read higher pressures at high altitude.

Drop the pan, pull the filter, install the borgwarner upgraded solenoid from CascadeTransmissionParts.com and install new filter. Bolt pan back up, dump in 4qts, start truck and, in neutral with e brake engaged, slowly add about a 1/4-1/2 qt at a time while checking level to get it perfect.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas

I agree though sounds like it might be a problem with the governor pressure solenoid and governor sensor. I say this because it takes pressure readings of the fluid and oil and hydraulic fluid (atf) will read higher pressures at high altitude.

Drop the pan, pull the filter, install the borgwarner upgraded solenoid from CascadeTransmissionParts.com and install new filter. Bolt pan back up, dump in 4qts, start truck and, in neutral with e brake engaged, slowly add about a 1/4-1/2 qt at a time while checking level to get it perfect.

u and lifted01 know more than i do sooooooo yep u two are it lol

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum

No, it's much worse than that. You're the "tranny" guy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

PG1972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2016 Ram Limited Same Problem

I have a 99 Dodge Ram 2500 v10 automatic I live in Colorado Springs my truck shifts fine here in the springs but when I get in high altitude like woodland park I will stop my truck at a gas station or something turn it back on and it won't shift out of first gear this only happens at high altitudes in the mountain but when I get back in the springs turn it off and turn it back on works perfectly fine things I have done change map sensor. Unhooked battery for extended period of time and **** off truck and back on multiple times but dosnt work out of ideas has anyone have this problem? Or any idea what is wrong.. Of course I have asked mechanics but I think they want money because they say I need a new tranny but than why the hell does it work fine in the springs but not in the mountains. Any help will be amazing oh and it is 4x4 quad

I own a 2016 Ram Limited which is experiencing the same problem. Towed my travel trailer (6670 GVWR) from Vegas at 2200' in altitude up to our local mountain range. 8500'. Absolutely no issues towing whatsoever. Unhitched and parked the truck. The next morning the truck would not shift correctly at all. In and out of 1,2,3,4 gears mostly. No matter what, it simply would not shift correctly. Turned the truck off and on a few times to no avail. We managed to make it down to the valley with the trailer attached, still not working properly, and when back to a lower elevation again, voila...worked flawlessly. Attempted a. 2nd trip to Big Bear last weekend and same issues again. Dealership seems to think it's a bad MAP sensor. You seem to have gone this route and it was not corrected? The tech interestingly confided that trucks in the SF Bay Area have had this problem. Any thoughts? I'm to take it in Friday for a new MAP sensor.

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
I own a 2016 Ram Limited which is experiencing the same problem. Towed my travel trailer (6670 GVWR) from Vegas at 2200' in altitude up to our local mountain range. 8500'. Absolutely no issues towing whatsoever. Unhitched and parked the truck. The next morning the truck would not shift correctly at all. In and out of 1,2,3,4 gears mostly. No matter what, it simply would not shift correctly. Turned the truck off and on a few times to no avail. We managed to make it down to the valley with the trailer attached, still not working properly, and when back to a lower elevation again, voila...worked flawlessly. Attempted a. 2nd trip to Big Bear last weekend and same issues again. Dealership seems to think it's a bad MAP sensor. You seem to have gone this route and it was not corrected? The tech interestingly confided that trucks in the SF Bay Area have had this problem. Any thoughts? I'm to take it in Friday for a new MAP sensor.

might have a better chance of getting an answer in the correct generation of truck forum. this is for up to 2001 trucks