Should I buy my old truck back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anticommander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Back in high school (2009) I had a '96 1500 Sport with the 5.9L Magnum. I bought it for $2500 off a gentleman who took phenomenal care of it since the day he took it off the lot. This guy kept a large envelope with all the receipts for every oil change done, part replaced, inspection, etc. At the time the truck had 96,000 miles or so, brand new brake lines, radiator, and a few other odds-and-ends that the original owner did.

I drove the truck until 2014 when I sold it to my father in law so I could get a more fuel efficient commuter car (graduated college, got a job). I think it had 150,000 - 155,000 miles on it at the time. He used it primarily as a farm truck for a couple years.

A few days ago my father in law purchased a new truck and has offered to sell my old truck back to me for $700 ( or however much it costs to register his new truck ). It currently has 180,000 miles on it and it's misfiring on cylinders 1 and 3. I'm thinking the heads should be replaced.

My question to you is should I buy the truck back? On one hand I can get my high school truck back for $700 or less. It'd be nice to have to haul stuff from home depot / the landscaping seller for my new house. On the other hand I'm going to have to put some money into it to get it back into decent mechanical shape, but I don't know how much money. I think it would be a fun project and a good learning experience, but I don't want to end up getting in a position where I can't sell it to break even.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If the rear of it is in good shape i say go for it. $700 isn't bad at all and misfires are generally pretty easy to pin point. 1 and 3 could very easily be as simple as crossed and touching plug wires

OP
OP
A

anticommander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
How would one go about checking if the rear is in good shape?

My father in law said he replaced the wires and plugs to try and address the misfire issue, but the problem still persists. It's also backfiring when you let off the gas and let it coast a bit.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Rear, pull the diff cover. Bout it.

Very possible to have mixed up plug wires. That'll backfire and misfire. I did that with 2 and 4 when i swapped headers in lol

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
being that he changed the plugs and wires, I would look at a diagram and check routing of everything also if money isnt an issue get the super insulated like 9mm or 10mm plug wires.

Hell if you don't buy it for $700 give him my number I'll take my lowered ram and a trailer and come get her!