simple cam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im planning on replacing the timing chain on my 318 real soon and am wondering if i should do a cam as well. nothing drastic, i dont want to mess with lifters or anything else. right now everything is stock but i do plan on headers, exhuast, intake manifold and other basic bolt ons down the line after my gears. would i hurt anything performance wise adding a mild cam with no other upgrades? or would i just be wasting money?
input and ideas is always welcome.
thanks again.

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
im planning on replacing the timing chain on my 318 real soon and am wondering if i should do a cam as well. nothing drastic, i dont want to mess with lifters or anything else. right now everything is stock but i do plan on headers, exhuast, intake manifold and other basic bolt ons down the line after my gears. would i hurt anything performance wise adding a mild cam with no other upgrades? or would i just be wasting money?
input and ideas is always welcome.
thanks again.

Personally think you'd be better off getting a cam to support other mods. If you're going through the trouble of researching and installing a cam, and spend $ on it, might as well make it a decent one when you have other mods. Money best spent elsewhere I'd say

OP
OP
hades300zdrivesaram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
normally thats how i would look at it but since im replacing the timeing chain i kind of want to avoid going back in less then a year from now.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I wouldn't. To get the benefit of any cam more than 1.7RRs you need custom tuning. Also i would do intake exhaust and heads before selecting cam myself. It's very possible to throw a cam in then do heads and lose power

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
There are some cams out there that don't need any custom tunes.
465 and no bigger u will be fine

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah but wouldn't you be pushing the stock valve train still without spending money there?

Sent from the howitzer

OP
OP
hades300zdrivesaram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are some cams out there that don't need any custom tunes.
465 and no bigger u will be fine

any examples that come to mind? when i searched there was just so much info and options it was overwhelming to go through during my lunch break. and the other bolt ons will start some time in the next few months.

Deepfried

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
any examples that come to mind? when i searched there was just so much info and options it was overwhelming to go through during my lunch break. and the other bolt ons will start some time in the next few months.
I wouldn't mind finding info as well. A mild cam that would work with stock heads and components and some 1.7 RRs would be sweet.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's too easy to go to comp or crane and get one custom ground for your set up verses going with a pre set, re ground cam by Hughes. The only way I would use a pre built cam instead of a custom grind would be to use a mopar performance one matching the specs I want.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Yes u can get a custom ground cam not a problem there at all, but not needed or warranted unless u have a built motor. There are lots of cams out there, u guys want me to post cams up then i need more info about your motors and plans u have for it.

For those also wanting to install a cam, be smart do a comp test on the motor make sure u have a good starting point.

Yes Hughes is **** don't buy from them!!!!!!

Last edited:

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes u can get a custom ground cam not a problem there at all, but not needed or warranted unless u have a built motor. There are lots of cams out there, u guys want me to post cams up then i need more info about your motors and plans u have for it.

For those also wanting to install a cam, be smart do a comp test on the motor make sure u have a good starting point.

Yes Hughes is **** don't buy from them!!!!!!

My only thing is that comp will grind a cam just as soon as they'll sell you one. They're the same price, why not get it specced to your build? Granted you're right it really isn't warrentred on a mildly modified motor but still.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I have Interior cam's grind my cams for me, I tell them what I want and they do it. By the time i got a custom ground cam from comp up here it would be a $700 cam, so def not worth it to me. So call comp tell them what you have done and let's see what they offer up and then let's go see what they offer from the shelf.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done business with Hughes for years never ever had a problem. Rotating assemblies, cams, 408 combos, roller rockers, porting work. Never had one single problem ever. Everybody's got their vendors everybody's got the one's they hate. Whatever. OP if you want a ton of information about MPI cams - that's an excellent page and there's a ton of information on that site about roller cams for that 318. You don't need a custom grind. You're just looking for a little bump up from stock.

a12655504

Reaction score
Ram Year
gc 95
Engine
I've done business with Hughes for years never ever had a problem. Rotating assemblies, cams, 408 combos, roller rockers, porting work. Never had one single problem ever. Everybody's got their vendors everybody's got the one's they hate. Whatever. OP if you want a ton of information about MPI cams - that's an excellent page and there's a ton of information on that site about roller cams for that 318. You don't need a custom grind. You're just looking for a little bump up from stock.
Me too, Hughes cam... Very good much stronger...

Sent from my ZTE N939St using Tapatalk