Slow coolant leak...need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamIT255

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
Ok new guy here so bear with me. I've done a lot of searching around the forums but I can't figure out what a certain part is. I'm trying to figure out what is causing a slow coolant leak in my 98 ram 2500. I just bought the truck in the previous owner must have put some sort of sealant on the edge of the oil pan. So far I've traced the leak up to the edge of the oil pan that is so slow but I can't determine exactly where it's dripping down from. The previous owner did say he recently replaced the water pump. If someone could tell me what to check and exactly where in the engine compartment to look that would help me a lot because I'm struggling to find some of the parts. Thanks in advance for all the help.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ltli0x

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
waterpump is on the front of the engine, if he replaced it recently, he may have not gotten a good seal.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
thermostat gasket also. its my understanding both water pump and thermostat are known to leak.

is it puddling?

mine is so slight, I cant find a hint of liquid anywhere, but I can smell it when I park.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'd check the t-stat gasket too. I went through two of then before I finally got it sealed up. My would puddle up on the top of the intake but never dripped on the ground

OP
OP
RamIT255

RamIT255

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
It's not even puddling. When I crawl up under the truck I can see the drops hanging down at various places but it never really hits the ground. Sure does cause a mess on the undercarriage of the truck though.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1zv0kv

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
could be either, tstat or waterpump weep hole.

OP
OP
RamIT255

RamIT255

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
I've got it narrowed down to somewhere around the water pump. I can't seem to find the weep hole. Can I find it from the top or from underneath? And which side?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1cvbp4

MikesRammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I'm betting its the bypass hose. It's located at the top of the water pump and it goes in to the intake manifold it's about 3 or 4 inch long rubber hose. But you have to take a lot of crap off to get to it.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah the bypass hose is a pita to get to. The alternator has to be unplugged and swung out of the way, the AC compressor has to be unbolted and moved as well as the bracket it bolts to. After all that, it's easy to get to lol