Slow to start when it's cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glipman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I've read a few of the topics on no starts but from what I've found I don't think they apply to this case.
I recently purchased a 1998 dodge ram sport 4x4, it sat for a year and needed a jump and a new battery put in after we diagnosed the battery was shot. When it started it spit out all the build up and smoked but then began running smoothly. After a drive everything seemed fine but once I brought it home when I start it up in the morning it seems to take quite a few revolutions before it catches. Could this be the starter going out and not being able to get it up to speed? Or am I looking at a sensor issue? Anymore questions I'd be happy to field, thanks in advance!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Being as it sat for awhile it could be as simple as low compression from things like sticky valves. Drive it normal for a few days and if everything seems good run a tank of seafoam or similar through and run it good and hard on the following

OP
OP
glipman

glipman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Being as it sat for awhile it could be as simple as low compression from things like sticky valves. Drive it normal for a few days and if everything seems good run a tank of seafoam or similar through and run it good and hard on the following
Now I do have a can of sea foam lying around, would it be better to run it through the fuel or through the intake slowly?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Intake. You want it to to hit the back of the intake valves. I like to pour it into a basic spray bottle and squirt it into the throttle body directly while holding it open slightly. Better even distribution vs going through the brake booster like most. Run that through it then drive er like you stole it. Just don't wear loose clothing and keep away from the fan.

Plenum would be a good idea too

OP
OP
glipman

glipman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Cool beans, she's getting a full tank tomorrow and a bit of some wear in then ;) thank you very much for the info I'll post results in about a week or so