Spark plug wires with headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
To anyone running headers, what spark plug wires are you using? I've got a set of uncoated shorties on the way and I don't think my old wires are gonna hold up for long. Getting to be about time for a tune-up anyway so I'm gonna nab a new cap and rotor while I'm at it. I've been looking at MSD, Davis Unified, Taylor, Accel. Not quite sure what to go with. Some say to use those metal heat shields but man, I've always found those things to be such a pain in the ass to slip a spark plug socket into. Not to mention, they're friggin dirt/water traps and out here on the gravel, that is NOT a good thing.

Last edited:

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Any silicone coated wires will hold up. Rubber will char and become brittle.

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To anyone running headers, what spark plug wires are you using? I've got a set of uncoated shorties on the way and I don't think my old wires are gonna hold up for long. Getting to be about time for a tune-up anyway so I'm gonna nab a new cap and rotor while I'm at it. I've been looking at MSD, Davis Unified, Taylor, Accel. Not quite sure what to go with. Some say to use those metal heat shields but man, I've always found those things to be such a pain in the ass to slip a spark plug socket into. Not to mention, they're friggin dirt/water traps and out here on the gravel, that is NOT a good thing.

Definitely don't go back to the metal heat shields, if anything you can always go this style-
UNIVERSAL 8PCS SPARK PLUG WIRE PROTECT BOOT HEAT SHEILD INSULATOR V6 V8 SET SLV | eBay

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8

mcraezy87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used ACCEL Silicone wires with Ceramic Boots. Takes care of both your issues.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ended up going with Davis Unified Ignition Livewires and the accompanying cap and rotor. Pretty good quality stuff and the truck runs noticeably better after installing them. Getting the shorties installed next Friday. I'd do it myself but I got no means of dealing with a busted stud on the old manifolds if it happens, so I'm gonna let the local exhaust guy deal with them. I better make sure that he doesn't bend the Remflex gaskets during the install because apparently those gaskets really don't like that. I really don't think the bolts that came with the headers are going to be long enough to reach the threads after passing the gaskets and header flanges but I'm going to leave it up to the discretion of my exhaust guy. Worst case scenario, if they refuse to hold torque even with the Remflexes, I'll find something better. I mean, once the old stuff is removed, I have utmost confidence that I can "babysit" the new stuff, LOL.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Ended up going with Davis Unified Ignition Livewires and the accompanying cap and rotor. Pretty good quality stuff and the truck runs noticeably better after installing them. Getting the shorties installed next Friday. I'd do it myself but I got no means of dealing with a busted stud on the old manifolds if it happens, so I'm gonna let the local exhaust guy deal with them. I better make sure that he doesn't bend the Remflex gaskets during the install because apparently those gaskets really don't like that. I really don't think the bolts that came with the headers are going to be long enough to reach the threads after passing the gaskets and header flanges but I'm going to leave it up to the discretion of my exhaust guy. Worst case scenario, if they refuse to hold torque even with the Remflexes, I'll find something better. I mean, once the old stuff is removed, I have utmost confidence that I can "babysit" the new stuff, LOL.

He should be able to look at it when he is lining it all up to tell if its going to be the correct length. If they aren't I bet he has a box of studs to use and can just charge you for the studs he's putting on.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, more than likely. When I walked into his office and asked, "want to install some headers," he gave me an "oh...no" look. The first question he asked me is "are they "direct fit?"" I'm guessing that more than a few people came in with various vehicles with "direct fit" headers and they didn't hook up right, so he had to screw with the pipes to make them fit and the aforementioned people *****ed about the extra cost of him having to bend up new pipes to make their "direct fit" headers fit.

And I'm sure most went with cheap headers, like I did, but went with the cheapy gaskets that came with them and then complained of leaks. If the Remflex gaskets that I got are half as good as they say they are, it shouldn't be a problem. It'll only be a question of how good the welds are.

I made it pretty clear that I don't give a crap if he has to bend up new pipes to make them fit. I just want these babies on so I can pick up a little more kick off the line and in the mid range. Plus, since I installed the DUI wires, the engine's starting to look kind of cool. The chromey shorties will really add to the look.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Yeah, more than likely. When I walked into his office and asked, "want to install some headers," he gave me an "oh...no" look. The first question he asked me is "are they "direct fit?"" I'm guessing that more than a few people came in with various vehicles with "direct fit" headers and they didn't hook up right, so he had to screw with the pipes to make them fit and the aforementioned people *****ed about the extra cost of him having to bend up new pipes to make their "direct fit" headers fit.

And I'm sure most went with cheap headers, like I did, but went with the cheapy gaskets that came with them and then complained of leaks. If the Remflex gaskets that I got are half as good as they say they are, it shouldn't be a problem. It'll only be a question of how good the welds are.

I made it pretty clear that I don't give a crap if he has to bend up new pipes to make them fit. I just want these babies on so I can pick up a little more kick off the line and in the mid range. Plus, since I installed the DUI wires, the engine's starting to look kind of cool. The chromey shorties will really add to the look.

As a tech to ass. man. now back to tech I will share this with you. Just understanding that your job may be a pain in 'my' ass, off the bat makes me hate you less. :roflsquared:

But no really, there are certain people I hate, everyone has a different type of person they hate. I hate anyone who wants an oil change (and is too cheap to do anything else to the vehicle to make it safe, such as bald tires with cords showing) or brake lines, I hate brake lines. If you show up and it's just me and you want brake lines, expect it to cost a bit, I don't put unions on rust. If you have a leak in 2in of line but 3ft is rusty, you're either getting 3ft of line or nothing at all. Its not because i'm trying to be a jerk, but more often than not, when you try to use a compression union on rust, it leaks shortly after.

Overall though, I get it, you need your car fixed, as long as you (this goes for most mechanics) don't question my knowledge or skill without reason (asking for explanation is fine just don't ask if I know what i'm doing or if i've done X basic task) and don't get mad when it takes longer than estimated and i'll bend over backwards to help you. The amount of things I do free for nice and decent customers has cost me thousands this year alone.

This is true for most mechanics.

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
I used Allen head bolts on my headers, way easier to tighten.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I don't like Allen heads because they strip easy. I prefer ARP 612-1000 for these trucks. Correct 5/16-18 thread, 1" UHL, nice small 3/8" 12pt head that's easy to tighten without stripping