Spark plugs...oops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glockguy13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I don't know a lot about cars but I bought a 1998 dodge ram and I'm determined to learn. So today I decided to change my spark plugs and I pulled all the caps and plugs at once, which now I know was a really bad idea. So my question is how do I figure out where the go now. Thanks

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will need to find top dead center on cylinder number one. This basically means to pull the plug on the front right cylinder. Bump the starter until you can kinda see piston. Remove the distributor rotor cap and see where the rotor is pointing. It should point towards the #1 cylinder. If not, and you have access to big sockets, there is a big bolt head on the lowest pulley of the engine. Stick the socket on it and turn it either way until the rotor is pointing towards the right cylinder.

Now when it's in the right position, when you put the cap back on the distributor, the pole right above where the rotor is, is your #1 cylinder. Put the plug wire from there to the #1 cylinder, then keep going one by one in the firing order. The firing order should be marked somewhere near the distributor. If not then I think it's 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

Hope this helps a bit.