Speed Limiter Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluwarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
What would be the cheapest way to remove the speed limiter on my 1997 Ram 1500? It only allows me to go 95 mph

OP
OP
bluwarguy

bluwarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
any specific tuner in mind?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Hemi-Fever, flyin Ryan, Superchips. IMO Flyin Ryan is the best out of the three, but is a bit more expensive. Super chips is, I think the cheapest, but i'm not sure if they remove the speed limiter.

OP
OP
bluwarguy

bluwarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
What Superchips model works on my 97 Ram? I can't find anything online

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Jet Performance Module - FREE SHIPPING from AutoAnything

I have no idea if that will get rid of the speed limiter, but its the cheapest there is, you just have to make sure there is three harness connectors on your PCM.

Really, i'm at a loss here. I'm not sure why you would want to go faster than 80 in these things, especially if you have the death wobble. These are trucks, not go fast cars.

If power is what you want, save up a bit, then get a proper tuner from some place like Flyin Ryan, or HemiFever. I'm sure Flyin Ryan will remove the speed limiter, and im pretty sure HemiFever will too.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Superchips/edge will raise it up to 140 but not completely remove it. SCT is also the only one that will work for a sub 98. DO. NOT. BUY. JET. They are resistors in a plastic box and have been known to kill PCMs and sensors

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Really, i'm at a loss here. I'm not sure why you would want to go faster than 80 in these things, especially if you have the death wobble. These are trucks, not go fast cars.
I feel the need......the need for speed! lol. i also don't see too much of a reason to go too much faster than 80mph. if the truck is in good shape nothing should happen. my buddy and i have hauled a u-haul trailer down the highway with a truck on it doing 80mph with no issues.

Superchips/edge will raise it up to 140 but not completely remove it. SCT is also the only one that will work for a sub 98. DO. NOT. BUY. JET. They are resistors in a plastic box and have been known to kill PCMs and sensors
100% agree with you. i know someone that had one of those jet chip and he had the pcm on his truck die. i could see going 140mph in a truck possibly being scary. i think my dad use to say his 66 dodge monaco use to feel like it was wanting to leave the ground at about 170-180mph. i could see a truck giving you the same feeling at a around 140mph

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
These trucks don't actually shut down til like 115.......if yours is only running 95 you have another problem.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
To check for cable stretch, have someone floor the pedal and look at the throttle body lever. Try to open the throttle body lever further. If it opens more by hand after the pedal is floored, the cable has stretched more than the allowable tolerance. If you cant open it further, then don't bother doing anything to it as nothing will change.