Speeding up when gas is t given

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kendall88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 magnum
I have a 2000 Dodge Ram with a magnum engine and it's 5 speed, last night I wouldn't have to shift and for some reason it just kept getting gas when I wasn't on the gas. It's hard to put into words so people understand. I was wondering if you could understand it, is it the transmission or a fuel problem. I just want to try and fix the problems I can fix before I go to a mechanic and pay an arm and a leg to get it fixed

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sounds like the throttle is getting stuck open or the IAC motor isn't functioning correctly

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I would remove the tb and clean it really well. If it keeps doing it look at changing iac and tps

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Somebody swapped your engine with a Toyota engine! Just remember to kick the tranny into neutral when it decides to run away so you don't end up through somebody's store front.

Seriously though, I'd do what Dodge Dude and Pepper said, clean the hell out of the throttle body (they like to get dirty) and if that doesn't work, replace the IAC. If you do replace the IAC, make sure you get a quality OEM part. I bought a $5 Chinese import and the damn thing likes to stick open when causing a very similar condition. The only reason that I keep forgetting about it is that it seems to relax when it cycles a few times and then everything's fine.