Sputter/stall on throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemifast0751

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey guys, my buddy is having a problem with his 99 Dakota 318 (I know, I know, but it's the same engine as the 1500). Every time he hits the accelerator it sounds like a sudden influx of air and the engine sputters and almost dies. If he slowly eases into it it doesn't happen. Just when he hits it fast. We rebuilt the engine from the heads up. Anyone have any ideas?

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys, my buddy is having a problem with his 99 Dakota 318 (I know, I know, but it's the same engine as the 1500). Every time he hits the accelerator it sounds like a sudden influx of air and the engine sputters and almost dies. If he slowly eases into it it doesn't happen. Just when he hits it fast. We rebuilt the engine from the heads up. Anyone have any ideas?

I've been tracking an almost similar problem on my truck. In my case it only seems to happen when I put the key in the ignition and immediately turn the key while not giving the fuel pump time to prime. Then I'll experience a dead spot in the throttle that will magically go away and the truck will take off. I get past this on mine by simply turning the ignition key to the on position and waiting a second or 2 before trying to crank. Check to see if that helps, if it does then it may help others diagnose your issue. I believe mine is something to do with the fuel pump/fuel pressure regulator as mine will sometimes not want to start on the first crank after it sat all night like it's out of gas.

Your's could be something else.

Though as a side note mine didn't start doing this until I fixed the plenum plate in which I had to disconnect the fuel line to the injectors.

Actually after re-reading... your problem seems like it may be a timing issue?....

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Check the TPS, and you might also want to check the fuel rail pressure, could be indicating the fuel pump is about to drop out.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the guide. Mine checked out. Means mine is a fuel delivery problem. Easy enough to fix.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk