Stalls in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I just sold my 99 Dodge ram 1500 LT 5.2 V8 today for $800, I saw this really good looking 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 for $800. called the guy and he said something like this.

When put in reverse it stalls for some reason. Tried new plugs, wires, AIC-sensor, cap and rotor for the distributor. I took it to the transmission guy and told him about the problem and he said it had nothing to do with the tranny. It runs and sounds fine in drive. I think it may be the crank shaft sensor? I'm not exactly sure. It has a little rust in common places that dodge trucks have them in. The guy I got it from said it had a 318 motor in it. He put a 360 motor in it and said it had 60,000 miles.

So anyone know what this might be or is this truck going to be a problem

00p0p_2LaAHEa67ok_600x450_zpsc94dfc54.jpg

00y0y_dpih3tHkWgo_600x450_zps8f31b4fb.jpg

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Those fender flares are definitely hiding a LOT of rust more than likely.

This could go two ways: either you fix the truck and it is very reliable for you (minus rust issues) or it could be a money pit.

I've never heard of an issue of stalling in reverse before. Usually a stall going into gear is all gears, not just reverse.

OP
OP
Irishhawk30

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
That's what I thought as well. I guess it needs a alignment because of all the new parts. The list is enormous.

Spark plugs
-wires
-cap-rotor
-AIC-sensor
-Air filter
-brake drum
-brake shoes
-brake pads
-brake hardware in back
-brake calipers on both sides
-brake rotors on both sides
-1 new leafspring and shackle and bolts
-newer back brake lines
-4 new tires, 2 new ones that came with it and 2 new ones that I bought with 0 miles on them
-upper and lower balls both sides
-tie rods
-track bar
-new shocks all four
-pitman arm

I live hr away from him so no way of getting it even if I wanted it. I sold that money pit of a truck with lucky oil features ;-)

OP
OP
Irishhawk30

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Would think I might be the Torque Convertor since it now has a 360 Engine or is my money on the Crank Shaft Sensor