steering column/wheel HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigred318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 318 5.2l
i have a loose steering wheel. checked the big nut under the airbag, column bolts etc.. wasnt it they were all tight. so, i hear of this rock solid ram steering fix thing and how awesome it is. got it, installled it, no dice. still there. if i put my hands at 3 and 9 o'clock and push with one hand while i pull the other i can rock the wheel back and forth. also i can slightly slide the wheel up and down side to side. when i popped the hood, this was where the play was coming from. is there a bearing of something i can replace? its a 98, i dont feel like going to the dealer cause they will in fact say i need to replace the column... i guess its not a problem til the wheel comes off in my hands and i need to make a turn :naughty:

Hemitom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have a loose steering wheel. checked the big nut under the airbag, column bolts etc.. wasnt it they were all tight. so, i hear of this rock solid ram steering fix thing and how awesome it is. got it, installled it, no dice. still there. if i put my hands at 3 and 9 o'clock and push with one hand while i pull the other i can rock the wheel back and forth. also i can slightly slide the wheel up and down side to side. when i popped the hood, this was where the play was coming from. is there a bearing of something i can replace? its a 98, i dont feel like going to the dealer cause they will in fact say i need to replace the column... i guess its not a problem til the wheel comes off in my hands and i need to make a turn :naughty:

the u joint on the shaft?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There should be an intermediate coupling in the steering shaft but that normally doesn't translate into a loose feeling in the actual steering wheel. There's also a coupler at the firewall penetration on that generation ram. Lastly, underneath the steering shaft under the dash is a 2 pc yoke assembly. If that's loose, I would suspect you'd feel it in the steering wheel.

olbaid_83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
i have the exact same issue....cant for the life of me figure out what it is....been dealing with it for 2 years now....hasnt gotten any worse....but hasnt gotten better on its own either lol