Steering, Little problem turning into big problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nikolai553

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
long and poorly wrote, but heres the story

Well this all started on July 4th when I went to a buddies house for celebrations. I was dead tired and pulled into his drive way then cranked the steering wheel to the right. Now mind that the tires didnt turn right but I left the wheel that way. So after staying awake thirty four hours I slepted at his house for eight hours and left the wheel cranked to the right. Now fast forward to the next day. I'm driving home and turning left is normal but turning right is wayyy loose but still turns past the 2 O-clock position. I'm thinking ok fine I'll just adjust it later. Fast forward again! Three weeks later I attempt to replace my passenger side control arm bushings... Well damn I have to grind the bolts off!, including the cam bolt. After removing the rusted solid chunks of bolt and sheet metal. I place some ell cheapo bolts in their place (cam bolt is no longer locked into place with the washer) and called it good until I buy new bolts. SOO after a week from the bushing replacements, in order to turn right, the steering wheel has to be past the 3-4 O-clock position in order to turn right! :baby:

I've checked all of the tie rods, bushing up front and nothing seems out of the norm. I now fear if I keep driving I'm going to lose my steering control. Whats wrong here???? :confused::confused:

Also if someone could find these cam bolts with washers cheaper then this "http://www.spohn.net/shop/1994-1999...e-1994-1999-Dodge-Ram-4x4-1500-2500-3500.html" I would be greatful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nikolai553

Nikolai553

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
The steering box is new as of Feb 2012.

OP
OP
Nikolai553

Nikolai553

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
New as in, before I bought the truck lol

I'll assume autoparts store.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Then I'll have to believe its probably the box. I'd suggest checking a bit more. Does it leak? Have someone turn the wheel to the right while watching the pitman arm. If the arm doesn't move (but the steering shaft is) your box is dying.

Reman boxes are a waste of time on lifted trucks with big tires. You'r running a part that hasn't changed at all since the mid 1960's which was fine with the little tires that were run back then.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nikolai553

Nikolai553

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
After abit of google, I ended up watching a few death wobble videos. How does this relate to the topic? Well when I'm driving around 45 mph or creeping at 8 mph, I can feel my truck shaking abit.

Think this is proof of a bad steering gear box? I do have a steering stabilizer frame brace installed already.

OP
OP
Nikolai553

Nikolai553

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
yes and nothing seems strange or moved

EDIT: I've moved/inspected all the steering bars with my hand (no one else to help at the moment), and I probably have a few bad bushings most likely.

Last edited: