Stock Throttle Body Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Well I went through everything..cleaned out the vacuum hoses. Shaved a little more off the inlets to the ports. Sanded for literally a few hours and polished with "Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish" to make it just ridiculously smooth and rounded. Did find some air leaks that I never even noticed before which I will post pics of on the next post, and still no luck. So I can only assume it is the sensor now. But wouldnt my Engine Check light be on?

Not nessesarily...best thing to do is test it. Also...you didn't sand the lower part of the venturi so that the throttle blades have a good seal when closed did you?

BTW do you smell gasoline at all when the truck is running?

OP
OP
MikesRammin

MikesRammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
bought a throttle body that was bored out and air horns shaved, etc. love it, night and day difference.

611b3c5f-d546-9aad.jpg

611b3c5f-d556-d2a4.jpg

611b3c5f-d573-3a94.jpg

611b3c5f-d582-d24e.jpg

611b3c5f-d59c-4d3c.jpg

611b3c5f-d5b0-a2fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you get your throttle body?

LifetimeDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
1984 1985 1977
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I bought a billet throttle body for a Dak R/T & it was a night day difference. I bought it through Kenne Bell 12 years ago. Throw away that KEG! MOPAR M1 increases the rpm range & torque. You can then make use of a good program then

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I got it from a eBay seller, you can pm me and I'll try to get the address for you again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
Not nessesarily...best thing to do is test it. Also...you didn't sand the lower part of the venturi so that the throttle blades have a good seal when closed did you?

BTW do you smell gasoline at all when the truck is running?

Well after what happend to me today I think I know exactly whats wrong. From your advice and from what ive read it all makes sense. But to answer your Q's no i did not go thatfar into it as far as the sanding so it still had a good seal. And no I dont smell fuel just the normal burn. But when i went to let her warm up before i went to work and she would turn and run for about a second and shut off. Tried it three times and gave up and took my other car. Did some reading at work and everything points to the MAP Sensor (manifold absolute pressure). So i came home and giving it gas turned the key and it started and would not idle, then went to a rough idle, then started to work as normal. Feels like i lost alot of power so just gonna park it til i get that sensor. I feel dumb but i know why this happend i used carb cleaner before i read that its a big no no..so learn from your mistakes i guess just a $20 part and is hopfully the cause of my low mpg.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Well after what happend to me today I think I know exactly whats wrong. From your advice and from what ive read it all makes sense. But to answer your Q's no i did not go thatfar into it as far as the sanding so it still had a good seal. And no I dont smell fuel just the normal burn. But when i went to let her warm up before i went to work and she would turn and run for about a second and shut off. Tried it three times and gave up and took my other car. Did some reading at work and everything points to the MAP Sensor (manifold absolute pressure). So i came home and giving it gas turned the key and it started and would not idle, then went to a rough idle, then started to work as normal. Feels like i lost alot of power so just gonna park it til i get that sensor. I feel dumb but i know why this happend i used carb cleaner before i read that its a big no no..so learn from your mistakes i guess just a $20 part and is hopfully the cause of my low mpg.

I think your gonna be suprised...a MAP sensor isn't a 20 dollar part. :birgits_tiredcoffee

Get_er_stuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does this Mod work for the 98 5.2, a friend told me it would but I'm wondering if I would get the same results as the 5.9?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Welcome to RF!

Boy talk about raising a dead thread. :)

Yes it will work on a 5.2, and you'll get the same results.

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
As Okeis stated yes you can, as I did. Bought mine for just under $100 and modded my kegger when I fixed a plenum leak, took out the divider plate and cut the runners back just slightly. To be honest I did not notice a huge difference in MPG or power slight increase in power and MPG but not by much.
This is a good mod to do to support other mods. My suggestion is get a SCT because any mods you do wont make much diff unless the computer let's it.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
way to search.lol

on a 5.2 you dont want to go much bigger than 50mm bore unless you are planning on alot of mods to support it.

x2 on the sct tuner.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I know.. dead thread but I have been using carb clean and brake clean to clean my tb.. read on this it's no bueano ... why? Does it actually harm the tb or just the sensors?

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've never heard that. Keep on using it just don't get any in the MAP sensor.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
It can affect the plastic and bushings and stuff. Just pull the sensors off before spraying it down you'll be fine