Strange no start issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Gonna start off with saying the truck is a 1997 Dodge 1500 with the 5.9.

A few months ago, my truck randomly decided it wasn't going to start anymore. I finally started looking into it today and I'm pretty confused.

I replaced the coil thinking that the old one was bad. Apparently it wasn't. But when turning the engine over, I heard a rapid and erratic ticking coming from the relay box. It was the ASD relay. I unplugged it and that caused the fuel pump relay to not come on. I tested the ASD relay with a meter and it seemed to be fine.

The only other thing I can think of being bad would be the crank sensor. Anyone got any ideas on what's going on? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If the asd is clicking, replace it. They shouldn't click like that.

Then verify whether you have spark or not and fuel pressure

OP
OP
texasrebel

texasrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Got a new crank sensor. Haven't replaced it yet. That's gotta wait until I can get the asd relay. They didn't have it in stock, so I had them order it. Gonna go ahead and do both at the same time. Hopefully this Friday I'll have this thing running again.

OP
OP
texasrebel

texasrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ok, so this truck is starting to **** me off. Went out Saturday morning to work on it. Changed the ASD relay, it still clicks sometimes. Changed the crank sensor, that was a pita. Still no start. It gets spark when it wants to. It gets fuel. But no start ever.

Checked the cap, still clean.
Not sure what it's suppose to get, but the coil is only getting a little over 4 volts.
Not getting power to dist.
The crank sensor was the only one that hadn't been replaced until Saturday.

Once again, any help is appreciated.

OP
OP
texasrebel

texasrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Anyone got any ideas?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Might swap pcm. Coil may not be getting proper signal from pcm. Swap it, if it doesn't get better, go ahead and take it back and look back at the crank sensor and cam pickup. Both have a bad parts store track record

OP
OP
texasrebel

texasrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Might swap pcm. Coil may not be getting proper signal from pcm. Swap it, if it doesn't get better, go ahead and take it back and look back at the crank sensor and cam pickup. Both have a bad parts store track record
Could that cause the asd relay to still tick?

OP
OP
texasrebel

texasrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Anything is possible with our electrical systems
I might try one from a truck in a junkyard first. One that's been hit so I know it ran before. I don't know if I'm ready to drop 200 on a reman pm just yet.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Maybe a long shot, but how old is the battery? Take it from me and years of milking old batteries, if the sucker is weak you'll hear all kinds of "clicking" going on while trying to start the engine.

OP
OP
texasrebel

texasrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Maybe a long shot, but how old is the battery? Take it from me and years of milking old batteries, if the sucker is weak you'll hear all kinds of "clicking" going on while trying to start the engine.
Sorry. Just seen this. The battery is only a couple years old. I threw it on my tester and it still reads good. The clicking is the ASD relay for some odd reason. I replaced it and it still clicked randomly.