Stroke or not to stroke that is the question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dragracefan

dragracefan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed all you diesel guys are all about that boost.

I'm just not a big fan of turbo's, don't like the lag and that goofy blow off noise.

I would love to get a blower but that's no in the cards at this time, after talking to hughes engines and running the 9.4:1 compression and the ARP head stud kit I could at a later date put on a blower. I'm not sure if flyin' Ryan has tunes for a blower so I emailed him with a few questions and I'll wait to see what he says.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Static compression means little in regards to running boost. Camshaft lobe profile and subsequent valve timing is far more important to determining whether an engine will kick ass and live or kick ass and blow up.

You can have 20:1 static compression and still run pump gas if your cam has the right profile. Static compression is what you fiddle with to fine tune the running compression.

Generally speaking, the later the intake valve closes after the piston reaches bottom dead center, the less peak cylinder pressure the engine generates. While this reduces power potential, it also prevents the cylinders from generating too much pressure which can cause all sorts of nasty things. Bent/broken con-rods, detonation, burnt pistons come to mind. This wouldn't be quite as much a concern (with the exception of detonation) for a purpose-built racing engine that only has to live a few hundred miles but when you've got a street engine that you want to run for tens of thousands of miles, extreme cylinder pressure is not something that you want.

From what I've gathered, for a street engine running pump gas, you want 8:1 running compression with iron heads but you can go up to 8.5:1 with aluminum heads. Aluminum seems to conduct heat better and keeps it away from the chambers which allows you to get away with more cylinder pressure. But, aluminum is expensive. Plan on dropping a couple grand easy on aluminum heads...

Now, you could install a methanol injection setup, which will significantly cool the air/fuel mixture and therefore allow higher running compression but now you're getting a little out in left field for a street engine.

Making power is cheap and easy. Making power reliably is expensive and harder. There's a good reason why the guys who build 800 horsepower racing engines that can run full ****ing blast for hundreds of miles without stopping get paid so much...

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I'm not a diesel guy, never owned one. I do have a turbo 5.7 Camaro that is an absolute blast!

Done right the turbo setup will be lag free, and significantly easier on your drive line components than a supercharger or stroker. It can depending on setup increase efficiency under certain driving conditions. You also get a crazy flat torque curve that will keep you pinned in the seat at all rpms.

Its pretty easy to make the BOV unnoticeable.

look at it this way, the Ford ecoboost(yes I know I said Ford) 3.5l Twin Turbo V6 tows better than the 5.4 Triton and gets much better gas millage.

If you are in need of a rebuild though obviously doing that and a turbo is not fesible, but I wanted to clear up some common misconceptions.

Here are some turbo Dodges, and couple dyno graphs because I love fast everything.

Stock 360ci boosted 10psi

From the desciption this truck is running at a measly 5/6psi of boost on a stock engine. . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqAcCWaLYw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1--XJwcFQoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPSOYDHGURU

Last edited:

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
I had a supercharged car as well as the diesel junk I currently own. There is no feeling like adding atmospheres to an engine. A centri or twin screw supercharger would be better for what you are wanting imo. Turbos can be sized for minimal lag but you run into rpm range issues when sizing them small. With my current setup I have a pretty good rpm range but it is sub 4k rpm peak.

OP
OP
dragracefan

dragracefan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well it looks like the consensus is to just turbo it, I was hoping that the stroker was going to be a better option for more torque.

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
The stroker will make more torque vs. the 360 you had. The turbo or super will make more torque than both. Not trying to bully you into spending money either. Pick what fits your wants/needs and wallet.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I'm not a diesel guy, never owned one. I do have a turbo 5.7 Camaro that is an absolute blast!

Done right the turbo setup will be lag free, and significantly easier on your drive line components than a supercharger or stroker. It can depending on setup increase efficiency under certain driving conditions. You also get a crazy flat torque curve that will keep you pinned in the seat at all rpms.

Its pretty easy to make the BOV unnoticeable.

look at it this way, the Ford ecoboost(yes I know I said Ford) 3.5l Twin Turbo V6 tows better than the 5.4 Triton and gets much better gas millage.

If you are in need of a rebuild though obviously doing that and a turbo is not fesible, but I wanted to clear up some common misconceptions.

Here are some turbo Dodges, and couple dyno graphs because I love fast everything.

Stock 360ci boosted 10psi

From the desciption this truck is running at a measly 5/6psi of boost on a stock engine. . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqAcCWaLYw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1--XJwcFQoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPSOYDHGURU

Those last 3 by Andrew Hammond are to be avoided. That setup specifically anyways. That ******* boasts his setup is simple and reliable yet doesn't feature any tuning or 2bar MAP support. He also refuses to show anybody without a $1600 deposit or some **** claiming he has a "provisional patent" and "public disclosure" coils result in somebody "stealing his design". The premise of turbo a 360 is great but avoid that hack job

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The 3 easiest ways to turbo are this:

1. Pick up a 2nd driverside factory manifold, where the original factory y merges turn it up back towards the passenger manifold. Remove the passenger manifold and replace with the extra driverside piece. It'll be exiting to the front of the engine and down. Run a J from that collector to your turbo flange and bring the crossover up to meet it. Pay attention to where your downpipe will need to be located to go back down the same way the crossover come up. After that it's all hardware and tuning pretty much.

2. Swap power steering pump with a ZJ pump or slightly move it out of the way with a bracket. Will have to account for change with a new belt, prob have to measure with string. Run your crossover under the front of the engine by the crank pulley by swapping manifolds around so they're on opposite sides and facing forward.

3. Remote mount. Place back where cat or muffler would be. I personally don't like this option for reasons is oiling and piping fab being way more difficult to run to the intercooler. Lotta guys do like it though because it keeps the engine bay clean and clear to work on other things.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Those last 3 by Andrew Hammond are to be avoided. That setup specifically anyways. That ******* boasts his setup is simple and reliable yet doesn't feature any tuning or 2bar MAP support. He also refuses to show anybody without a $1600 deposit or some **** claiming he has a "provisional patent" and "public disclosure" coils result in somebody "stealing his design". The premise of turbo a 360 is great but avoid that hack job

Thats a joke :roflsquared: hes going for a patent but says its a secret. Thats an oxymoron, by definition having a patent provisional or not means its entirely public and not secret. I looked and couldn't find any patents that fit that description. Either provisional applications aren't stored with the non-provisinal or hes full of it and just trying to act like hes hot ****.

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9

lol, well I dont think anyone would seriously pursue a patent for a turbo system for a old dodge truck, not exactly the speed crowd thats gobbling up turbo systems. . .

I dont know anything about the setup or who he is, just saw the youtube videos and figured they were worth a share.

Patent or not, if your making it for yourself and only for yourself there isn't **** they can do.

As for the system, there is a ton of room in the dodge to do what dapepper9 said.

This is my buddies Fairmont, but a mirror version similar to this would fit very well from looking under my hood.

Attachments

• IMG_65191.jpg
    IMG_65191.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_65381.jpg
    IMG_65381.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_653611.jpg
    IMG_653611.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_653711.jpg
    IMG_653711.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
dragracefan

dragracefan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well after talking to flyin ryan about the tune and stuff and whether to just do a stroker or turbo the magnum, he said that he has worked and tuned both, and he was telling me that both are good options but he said he the stroker is probably best for what I am trying to achieve. I'm gonna have good grunt for towing my trailers around and I'm going to have more than enough power to **** people off with how fast my 6000 pound, 24 foot long jacked up truck is. so today I ordered most of the stuff to start building me a 408 monster.

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Sweet, keep the make a build thread when you start the project, would like to follow the progress.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Awesome! You'll be extremely happy with either one though the NA setups are easier to work with. They both cost about the same depending on how crazy you go but the 408 will have better drivability, especially with hauling a trailer. Keep us updated!

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Excellent! I'm an NA person myself (everyone nowadays can take their boosted V6s and cram 'em) so I'm definitely keeping an ear on this one. With the right setup, the 408 should pass the 500 lb/ft mark at a reasonable RPM. Melt the tires or thrash the ricers. Or do both at the same time. :happy107:

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hey we can be stroker buddy's! I'll have a 400 size going in my 03 in the next month

OP
OP
dragracefan

dragracefan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys in about two weeks we will start once everything shows up ( evidently it takes two to three weeks for the rotating assembly to show up ) and I head to the machine shop and get down to the nitty gritty.