stuttering as if the gas pedal is a off/on switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paxmaster2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
story is it is a 98 dodge ram with a 5.9 gas engine. 205k. i had a check engine light on for the 02 sensors. replaced them. i also decided to replace the cold air intake with a stock one since it was not put on right and it was just loose.
this is when i started to have driving problems. the truck will fall on its face. when idling it seems to be fine even when i play with the throttle. when i am trying to drive it just starts to stutter as if the engine shuts down. if i hit the gas when it does this it sounds like a back fire.
i have only owned this truck for about 2 months. i didn't replace the plugs, wires, distibuter because i didn't have this problem until the factory air box.
please before i sell this truck for a lot less because i am giving up. HELP ME!!!

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say pull the plugs and see what they look like. Pull the intake and hold the throttle open and see what it looks like inside. Sounds like a vacuum issue or sensor issue. Take pictures and post them so we can see and possibly try and help diagnose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont think the 4.7 has a distributor cap on these, I think they were coil on plug?

Will it rev freely in park or neutral or only under a load.

As crazy kid said, could be a vacuum leak but Ive never had one so bad it stops the car from running but again if you moved something after the intake install it could be huge. Does the 4.7 have a map of maf sensor? Make sure thats connected!

The cats could be clogged all to heck.

OP
OP
P

paxmaster2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont think the 4.7 has a distributor cap on these, I think they were coil on plug?

Will it rev freely in park or neutral or only under a load.

As crazy kid said, could be a vacuum leak but Ive never had one so bad it stops the car from running but again if you moved something after the intake install it could be huge. Does the 4.7 have a map of maf sensor? Make sure thats connected!

The cats could be clogged all to heck.
thanks but it is a 5.9. very good suggestions. like i said it all started with the intake

OP
OP
P

paxmaster2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i was thinking to take off the poem air box and take it around the block. if it runs better then i can bet it is the plemium gasket.

OP
OP
P

paxmaster2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i used my scope and there does seem to have evidence of some oil

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What brand of O2 sensors did you use? I have read that our trucks can be very picky with these. NGK seems to be the best overall though some guys have had luck with Bosch. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Bosch stuff (too many complaints).

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i used my scope and there does seem to have evidence of some oil

Some oil is normal. Puddles of oil or gunk buildup is not. My 5.2 smoked when the plenum went kaput and had multiple cylinder misfires. Vacuum leak may not throw a code. It should idle and rev normal with a leak but under load (ex: normal driving) it's not getting proper air fuel mix and cannot compensate. Check in the intake manifold. Passenger side should have 2 hoses coming off. Driver should be one and a plug. Also yes. What O2 sensors. Ngk seem to be the only ones that don't have problems in our truck.

OP
OP
P

paxmaster2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i am not sure but i was having the problem before the replacement. it was stuttering before and after the o2 sensor replacement. so that is out.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i am not sure but i was having the problem before the replacement. it was stuttering before and after the o2 sensor replacement. so that is out.

It still could be the O2 if the other one was bad. Make sure the iac and map sensor gaskets are still good. Have you taken off the throttle body? Could be dirty or bad map if not a vacuum issue

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Remove the front 02 and test drive it. Codes for 02s may easily have been pointing to a crumbling converter