Surging idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
Ok, beings as I'm new to the dodge world I'm trying to learn all I can. Prior to this 97 I've solely been a chevy guy. So I'm needing help here.

Whether the 5.9 is cold or warm, sitting in park or in drive at a stop or light, the idle will surge up and down. I know this is not normal, is it just a matter of something dirty or could it be a bad part? I have NOT seen the check engine light once turn on since I bought this truck. Could it throw a code without the check engine light turning on?

Any help in me fixing this would be helpful.

OP
OP
Muddytazz

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
Well hopefully that is eliminating a bad part theory.

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Codes can definately be thrown without the check engine light triggering. Take it to an auto parts store and have it read. It's free to do. Also check your plenum for oil.

OP
OP
Muddytazz

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
This has had the plenum upgrade on it before I bought it. Would my ScanGaugeII work for checking codes?

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep scanguage will work. The factory fix doesn't fix the problem forever. They just replaced the gasket. The steel plate was just reused or replaced with a new steel plate. If it was done with a Hughes plate it was done right but the gasket could still fail if installed improperly. Might as well check it since its easy to do. If that's good, and the codes read fine check all your vaccum lines and run some seafoam through it.

OP
OP
Muddytazz

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
How do I check the plenum thing myself?

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pull the intake off. Then open the butterfly on the throttle body and look in with a flashlight. It should look nice and clean. If there is any oil or residue your plenum is kaputzky and you need to do a gasket swap.

OP
OP
Muddytazz

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
Well that'll have to wait a while as I can't afford to have my truck down for more than a couple hours a day right now.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If it doesn't show a code you could pull the TPS sensor or IAC and clean them up

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Muddytazz

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
Ok, being new to all this computer controlled, throttle bodied stuff, point me in the right direction. Pics would be great.

I'm used to running and working on carb'ed motors. Could and still can rebuild any 4 bbl to superb working order in under an hour.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Here's a pic of the TB side of the TPS
225e4197.jpg

And here's where it's located. It'll be the only sensor on the drivers side of the TB
bb948f86.jpg

The IAC is on the back, passenger side. Not 100% sure if it's on the intake or TB but I'll snap you a couple pics tomorrow.
Easy way to check that is unplug it and see if it changes the way your truck runs. If there's no change, then there's your problem

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Muddytazz

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
Is that looking in from the topside of the throttle body thru the butterfly's?

OP
OP
Muddytazz

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
Just popped the air cleaner box off the throttle body and looked down the throat and its black in there :flame: Was told it had the correct fix done to it. Looks like I'll be saving some money from some of the old toyota and chevy stuff I have for sale to fix it.

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
I posted a TBS in the 2nd Gen Tech Section under got my plenum plate today. My Jeep 5.9 Limited looked as if it was a blown gasket after following the TBSs it turned out to be a PCV that was letting oil pass into the manifold.
Check out the second TBS it tells how to check a leaky gasket.

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just popped the air cleaner box off the throttle body and looked down the throat and its black in there :flame: Was told it had the correct fix done to it. Looks like I'll be saving some money from some of the old toyota and chevy stuff I have for sale to fix it.

Theres your sign.

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
just popped the air cleaner box off the throttle body and looked down the throat and its black in there :flame: Was told it had the correct fix done to it. Looks like i'll be saving some money from some of the old toyota and chevy stuff i have for sale to fix it.

read the tbs before you start fixing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334