Tappet Cover Gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eastbayboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesal 24 valve
I have a 2001 Dodge RAM with a Cummins 5.9L 24V truck. I am in the process of replacing the tappet cover gasket due to an oil leak. I bought a new gasket and am trying to make sure I place it on the cover correctly. The gasket has a grove which fits over the edge of the tappet cover. My question is one side on the gasket is at least twice as thick as the other side (see pic). Which side goes against the block??

Also there is a tab on the gasket which has "front" written on it and is on the thin side of the gasket. I assume the tab means that it goes to the front of the engine.

Advice would be much appreciate!!!

Eastbayboy

Attachments

• gasket.jpg
    gasket.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 35

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
Put it on the way it came off. I haven,t done it, but I would think the thick side goes down. Sorry I can,t be of more help.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Make sure the gasket is properly located around the cylinder head bolts, with the words “top front” facing up and towards front of engine.

RoadBully

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Compression Ignition
Make sure the gasket is properly located around the cylinder head bolts, with the words “top front” facing up and towards front of engine.

It's a Cummins not a Magnum, this gasket is on the drivers side of the block. Fat side in, front towards front of block.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
It's a Cummins not a Magnum, this gasket is on the drivers side of the block. Fat side in, front towards front of block.

Thats directly copied from the factory service manual from the Cummins section.

Attachments

• cly head 59ctd.jpg
    cly head 59ctd.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye