Temperature rising with my truck off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Having a weird problem that just started today. Never seen this before. As the title states the temperature is rising (over 210) with the truck off. Driving it, it seems to be normal operating temperature. Park and shut it off, starts going up. Even popped the hood and doesn't seem to help. My dad seems to think its the sensor but I figured it wouldn't give any feedback if its the sensor

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My truck does the same thing as does the 76. When you start it, it should start dropping fairly quickly.

OP
OP
BlackMagnum2000

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It does but I just really don't understand how it gets hotter with the engine off. Makes no sense. But I shouldn't be worried about it ?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because the coolant stops circulating when you shut it off, but it keeps absorbing heat from the block.

Remember that the gauge doesn't read engine temp, it reads coolant temp. So, the engine isn't getting hotter when you shut it off, just the coolant keeps getting hotter for a bit when it stops moving.

OP
OP
BlackMagnum2000

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Okay that was kinda my first thought but my dad said I was wrong and I kinda took his word for it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Because the coolant stops circulating when you shut it off, but it keeps absorbing heat from the block.

Remember that the gauge doesn't read engine temp, it reads coolant temp. So, the engine isn't getting hotter when you shut it off, just the coolant keeps getting hotter for a bit when it stops moving.
BOOM.
Freaking called it.
Okay that was kinda my first thought but my dad said I was wrong and I kinda took his word for it.

Tell Dad that I said so. LOL

And considering your dad has been wrong about a lot of stuff....lol

OP
OP
BlackMagnum2000

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
He has been. About a lot... Well at least I'm smart enough to now question his judgment. That's why I came here before buying a new sending unit like he said I need to do

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
It's normal.

prouddodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 v8
new to teh forum hoping somebody can help me

hello you guys im new to this forum hope you guys can help me. i have 96 dodge ram 5.9 360 v8 i have had the truck for 1.5 years and ever since i have owned it i have had gurgling in my heater core so i finally broke down and replaced the heater core two days ago. also i have had not rock hard radiator hoses (top and bottom) but hard enough where when i squeeze it i can only make dents in the pipe not squeeze it close. anyways after i changed the heater core i didn't hear anything from it (gurgling) until the next day after work and my hoses went back to being firm again. i burped the radiator again today i went to town with it didn't get any firm hoses however my temp shot up from 195 to 215-220 then made its way back to 195 and stayed there and the hoses where still not tight. i drove my truck again a few hours later and it never overheated again but my hoses stayed firm like always before. my question is this normal with the hoses and do any of you guys have any suggestions? i have had people tell me it could be the head gasket but i have no signs of a bad head-gasket and i have had the firm hoses and the gurgling heater core for almost two years and it has never over heated before except for today. thanks guy have a good one.