Timing Chain Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mindtheater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently did the timing chain on my dodge ram 1500. I think I made a mistake because my truck is lacking power when I get on it. When I took off the old chain and gears, I didn't turn them so the marks were lined up, I just pulled the gears off where ever they were at that point. So when it was time to put the new gears and chain on, I may have turned the crank by itself a bit. When I realized what i was doing, I put the old set back on and turned it till the marks lined up then I replaced it with new equipment. I;m thinking that because I turned the crank pulley without turning the cam pulley that I messed something up!
Also a mechanic said I should have turned it when it was done a few times to make sure that the marks continued to stay lined up and i didn't do that.
I hate to pull this cover off again especially since I don't know for sure.
I did the following work in the same job:
Timing chain
plenum
plugs
wires
cap/rotor
Thanks for your help!

KenBerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
If you had the marks lined up and the engine runs without tearing itself apart then the chain itself is installed correctly.

If you really want to confirm, pull the dist. cap and compare the TDC marks on the front pulley to the distributor markings for cyl 1.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Did you move the dizzy? as in lossen the clamp and turn the body at all. If you did you will have to have the fuel sync reset using a DRB3 scan tool.

OP
OP
M

Mindtheater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did not move the dizzy...meaining the distributor body? Engine sounds great when reving it up in park. It also sounds great when I get on it with a hard acceleration. Its jut making a tick or a ping from the cat area. It did not do this before Idid all the work. The only thing I didn't replace is the O2 sensor. Even though its not triggering a check engine light or any codes when scanned, Im hoping thats causing this combustion tick noise....it sounds like the noise a water pipe makes when it gets hot.

KenBerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
Sometimes a pipe will make noise like that if it has a leak such as a cracked weld. Maybe just coincidence that you noticed it after doing the other work.