Timing issue....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Ok so I've searched about everything I can think of and still have a running gremlin with my 360....ruled out vacuum leaks and anything else I can think of. Took it to a buddy of mine and put it on his Snap On scanner and all we could find is the timing is off about 2 degrees and it bounces a bit. His scanner popped up there is an update for the shaft bushing and gear that drive the distributor. He's going to try and adjust the timing but I can't imaging 2 degrees of timing is my issue. I'm still having vacuum issues as in if you lug it down really hard it's still closing the damper door for the AC....I pulled both vacuum check valves off and tested them to be good. I couldn't find any leaks anywhere. I'm also still having a surge to how it runs....no low end power and when its coming up through the RPM's it kind of has a surge or a gallop....its not smooth but I can't for the life of me figure it out. I did the Hughes kit to the plenum already so everything there is good. I also pulled all the injectors and made sure no dirt was laying in the tops of them as I heard that was a problem too. I'm open to any ideas here guys....I like the truck but it runs like a **** and if I can't get it to run right its gonna find a new home. Any help is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I also changed out the vacuum booster check valve and the PCV valve because it had stuck on me....I'm sure I did some other things but may be forgetting so feel free to ask if I did it, or checked it.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Moving your distributor doesn't set the timing on these trucks...it will change your fuel sync and may make things worse. The only thing in your distributor is the cam sensor.

Have checked or replaced your timing chain lately? That might be worth 2 degrees. Surge ? Could be a TPS issue. Could also be your mystery vacum leak. Did you check the the vacum motors on the HVAC unit to make sure the the hoses are tight?
Other vacum leaks might be PCV valve hosed cracked at manifold. Thats usually under the clamp.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Shouldn't need s timing chain at 62k mikes should it? Im getting a code #PO420 also. Showing lean at tge rear 02. Cat is gutted too.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Shouldn't need s timing chain at 62k mikes should it? Im getting a code #PO420 also. Showing lean at tge rear 02. Cat is gutted too.

Not it wouldn't/shouldn't but if it is at all stretched that might give you a two degree fluctuation.
Gutted cat + loss of backpressure = lean mixture/rear O2 code. Probably accounts for loss of bottom end power too. A street engine likes a bit of backpressure for low end torque.

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Be sure to run a sea foam treatment through the cylinders. Lots of folks use the brake booster vac line to suck the treatment into the cylinders. If you fixed ur plenum but never removed the carbon deposits it left behind that would be a "couple" of the symptoms you've mentioned.

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seafoam is a cylinder cleaning additive that you can pick up from Autozone or AdvanceAuto

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I knew what it was....there are differnt types and uses though. I got it last night and it helped but didnt cure anything.

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
only a couple of symptoms in ur list was something I've seen seafoam fix but if ur plenum has been fixed in the past and that process not completed to clean up all that residual buildup, you did the cylinders wonders lol

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Now if I could figure the issue out with the damper door closing......

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
shouldnt need a new chain at 62k. though i changed mine out at about the same mileage and it did have a little slack.

have you done a compression test?
i would for sure check the fuel sync.
tune up?

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
After the seafoam its running correctly ...was loaded up with oil but I tried towing my camper and it's honestly kinda lazy and I miss my dually so Im selling it lol

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
the 360 is not a power house. though it can be made to make some pretty good power reliably. just how much you want to spend.