Tips on getting more power out of my 360?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Repla_Skillz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't know if this is the proper place to put this but I've been looking into putting some money into replacing parts to make my truck faster, and more powerful, but I still wanna stay true to Mopar as much as possible.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well Welcome! To start with as many member will tell you the 360 is a good platform to build power. But it won't come all at once. How much power you make will depend on how much you want to spend. If you really wanna go over the top and plan on making big numbers then stroke it to a 408 with heads intake and exhaust and a custom tune. That will make you big power but that is for a big budget.

A more modest and realistic approach is to add a tuner along with a cold air intake and exhaust. After that you are pretty much going to tear into the engine.

Hope this helps give you some direction.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Re-gearing will help as well.

A lot of popular mods for the magnum are roller rockers , cam, upgraded intAke manifold, new heads, ect.ect.

New throttle body from the fastman comes to mind as well

You could also move the iat to the intake tube and plug the iat hole in the intake with a 1/4" npt plug

And the basics like copper core plugs, (platniums won't work) Cap and rotor with brass contacts, 8mm plug wires.

There is also a Cam position sensor mod that will let you advance or retard the timing

Also make sure your intake plenum isn't leaking. This can cause major power loss.

(I keep adding to this post as things come to mind. I've had 3 magnum engines, 96 ram 360, 99 durango 318, and an 02 ram 360. Great motors!)

I've also heard you can take a 318 cam and drop it in a 360 , as the 318 cams are a bit more aggressive

Sent from iPhone Tapatalk

Last edited:

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Well I've had my truck for over 11 years now, and I haven't done a lot of motor mods, but I can tell you the best one I've done is my SCT tuner. After that it would be my polished throttle body. Then maybe the exhaust. Fixing the plenum got rid of my pinging.

I'd have to say out of all the mods listed, gearing these trucks down to add much needed torque is one of the best things you can do. It really enhances all the other mods you'll attempt.

Lastly, I think the sensor you want to mod is the crank sensor. The cam sensor is in the distributor. But in lieu of that, the SCT will give you your lost power back from any deathflashes or software updates to your PCM.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Well I've had my truck for over 11 years now, and I haven't done a lot of motor mods, but I can tell you the best one I've done is my SCT tuner. After that it would be my polished throttle body. Then maybe the exhaust. Fixing the plenum got rid of my pinging.

I'd have to say out of all the mods listed, gearing these trucks down to add much needed torque is one of the best things you can do. It really enhances all the other mods you'll attempt.

Lastly, I think the sensor you want to mod is the crank sensor. The cam sensor is in the distributor. But in lieu of that, the SCT will give you your lost power back from any deathflashes or software updates to your PCM.

ill 2nd this statement

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
How much money you thinking of putting into it?

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Lastly, I think the sensor you want to mod is the crank sensor. The cam sensor is in the distributor.

Yup.. I always get these mixed up, cause the parts store never listed these as having a cam sensor , they called it a pickup coil. ( at least around here anyway)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nikolai553

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Honestly I don't know probably not much right now cause im only 17 making 14 an hour with 10 hour days working maybe 3 - 4 times a week? Winter will be better.

ha making more than I do and I deal with murders , rapists etc etc every day lol

RedRamIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360ci V8 Magnum
Honestly I don't know probably not much right now cause im only 17 making 14 an hour with 10 hour days working maybe 3 - 4 times a week? Winter will be better.

Damn..14 an hour..I need your job

Tapatalk