Torque Converter Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Short backstory... 2000 Ram 1500 5.9l

At some point before I owned my truck, it was in an accident. The body shop replaced the radiator support and other body panels with a support from a 98 Ram with a 5.2l engine. The stickers from that support show the engine of my truck as being a 5.2l. I have verified by looking at my engine block that my truck does in fact still have the factory 5.9.

Fast forward to now...

I was looking through the receipts I got from the PO of my truck the other night and found a receipt for a transmission rebuild that happened a few years ago. On the receipt, the shop marked 5.2l and noted that the transmission was rebuilt and the torque converter was replaced.

This leads me to believe that when they rebuilt the trans, they used a 5.2l torque converter. I know that the 5.2 and 5.9 are balanced differently, however, there is much confusion about if the torque converters are weighted or if only the flex plates are weighted.

Does this matter? I feel a very slight vibration at around 45-50mph when driving and also when I rev the truck in P or N and I haven't been able to pin it down.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
96+ weights are on flexplate. 94/95 the weights are on the converter. Won't make a difference. Likely have another issue

OP
OP
SportRam00

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Thanks pepper. That's what I couldn't determine from my searching. This is a mystery.

Could be a miss. My idle fluctuates slightly around the 600 rpm mark on the tach after the engine reaches operating temp.

Could be bad engine mounts or even bad upper control arm bushings since it's way more evident when moving and I can hear and feel a knocking through the floorboard on the passenger side.

Either way I still have more work to put in to this thing.