Tragedy struck today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gmack2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SO I get to work and there ain't nothin to do so me and a co worker(use to be a mechanic) decide to go take a look at my truck and check **** out to see if we can determine what's wrong with it. Before we even had time to look at the plenum gasket were lookin around at the wiring and stuff an aparently the guy ho owned the truck before decided be wante to by pass a bunch of stuff redneck rig it all up the way he thought was best. So we decide to crank te truck up to listen to it..... It don't start.... It cranks but ain't turnin over. We reset the computer, made sure everything was plugged in.... Nothin. We couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong with it. So now Im gettin it loaded up on a flat bed and takin to my mechanic, Danny's mesquite car care(the only mechanic I can trust with my life). Realy hope I'm not screwed. But luckily I'm also stuck at work so I guess I'm just makin money now to hand right over to m mechanic. I'll let y'all know what ends up happening. Keep my my baby in ur prayers:(

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Your co worker that use to be a mechanic couldnt figure it out ? Well we now know why the words "use to be " came in play .

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was there man. But mine was a complete flat, and the guy who owned the truck before me took the jack. But I'll keep her in my prayers. good luck

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
oh man that sucks...hope its an easy fix

OP
OP
G

Gmack2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm realy thinkin the entire harness needs to be replaced but I realy hope not. I'm 18 workin 40-60 hours a week after school t only 8 an hour so after gas and the girlfriend I ain't got money like that. I hope it was something real simple that we wer Kay to dumb to notice

OP
OP
G

Gmack2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You may want to start looking online for a new engine wiring harness...

Wers a goo place to look cause I've been lookings and I'm either seein harnesses for like a grand which I'm hopin to find cheaper or stereo wiring which obviously aint the problem lol

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Was it turning over? You said it was cranking then a few lines later said it wasn't turning over. If it was turning over did y'all check for spark? If you had spark then could have checked for fuel then the list gets alot longer depending on what was found.

OP
OP
G

Gmack2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Exactly. We would turn the key and it would crank but not turn over. It had spark so we figured the fuel pump. Well we could here the fuel pump. So we can't figure it out. So we decided to unplug the computer yet it still gave off a spark. Needless to say wer completely confused and I hate all that wiring stuff. It could b soo many different things

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
By crank you mean the motor was turning over? You are confusing the hell out of me saying it would crank but not turn over.... turning over means the motor was cranking over as in the motor was attempting to go through the strokes to start. Were not on the same page.

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does the truck have a solenoid on the drivers fender like a Ford does? It's a recall fix and where some of that poor wiring might be leading to. Sometimes this goes out.

OP
OP
G

Gmack2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the truck have a solenoid on the drivers fender like a Ford does? It's a recall fix and where some of that poor wiring might be leading to. Sometimes this goes out.

I don't think this is a dodge issue I think it's more of the last owner not knowing what he was doin under the hood

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3 common issues can cause this:

Oil Pressure Sensor, Crank Position and Cam Position sensor.
I'm willing to bet its the cam position sensor, get a remanufacturered distributor, and make sure you clock it properly. I think they run about $70, easy swap.

If the computer doesn't get signal from any of these sensors (stupidly in a loop style configuration) it won't send signal to the coil to spark.

OP
OP
G

Gmack2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok sorry took so long for an update but I got some news today. Apparently the computer was fried so the shop found one at a junk yard and popped it in and got the truck runnin again! And I talked with my mechanic and we decided that since the ticking noise is comin from the lower end of the engine we decided to go ahead and just do a rebuild. Wich the very well known plenum gasket failure will be addresses since they'll already be in there and since the wiring harness will already have to be removed were going to go ahead and replace Theresa well.

Any one know if there is anything else I should go ahea and address to prevent anything else from happening?