Trans. Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My girlfriend has a 2001 RAM 2500 with the 5.9L, 360 cui. Unfortunately I don't know which transmission; and that's the problem. The codes come up as P1740 and P1757. Both are Manufacture Control Transmission. Is P1757 the governor pressure solenoid? And is the P1740 the torque converter lock-up solenoid? If these are the correct problems, is it as simple as getting new solenoids and replacing?

Thank you for your time!

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Further Investigation

After further investigation I have found that the transmission is a 46RE. The codes are confirmed (P1757 - Governor Pressure Solenoid & P1740 - Torque Converter Lock-Up Solenoid). I have found a transmission sensor & solenoid upgrade kit that will fit 2000 & newer Dodge trucks with A518, A618,46RE, 47RE, & 48RE transmissions. The kit includes Borg Warner Pressure Solenoid (EPC), Billet Heavy Duty Governor Housing w/Hardware, Governor Pressure Transducer, Overdrive & Lock-Up (TCC) Solenoid with Wire Harness, & Output Speed Sensor. Short of a transmission filter kit I think this would take of fixing the problem. It doesn't seem to expensive @ $270.00 plus the cost of a filter kit. I'm going to research this a little further before committing & wasting time & money.

Any input, comments, concerns, & questions are welcome & appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
The selenoids are found on the valve body and it should be dropped to replace them on a 46re. The od and tc selenoids are a linked pair.
That's the good news, now the bad.
Many times the t/c lock up malfunctions because the clutch lining on the tc is worn "beyond spec" and is starting to slip as it engages. This means the selenoid draw is higher than spec and trips the cel.
Thought you ougtta know...:birgits_tiredcoffee

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK. Pulled the trans. and it is in need of a total rebuild. Bands are shot and excessive metal shaving and gears show wear. Why don't they sell gears in a total rebuild kit? So they can make more money! Have to buy a rebuild kit and gears. Also have to get a new billet governor and all the solenoids. Will get another torque converter as this will help. Probably the cause to the torque converter lock-up solenoid problem. Will replace the solenoid too.

I'll keep you informed.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Yes please let us know how you came out . And welcome to RF