transmission-issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
so, lately with alot of highway driving iv been really pleased with my drives and power to pass someone when needed and accelerate, etc, except..when I'm going I have to slow down from 70 to 40, once that happens and I need toget going again, I have to really get on the gas and it kinda feels like I'm just slowly accelerating if hard any. is my tranny bogging down or something?

just wondering what would cause that wierd feel and no acceleration at 40 mph. it's not like that when I'm accelerating from below 40 but when I go from above 40 to 40 and the. try to get back a above, I experience the prob.

Tapatalk Addict

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Is it down shifting out of over-drive?
How is the fluid level?
Is it red and does it have a burnt smell to it?

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
idk it doesn't feel like it does anything for a couple seconds, maybe like 10 and then it slowly gets back up to about 50 and once I hit 50 I can do whatever.

as for the fluid I took it to a guy I know who's been doing transmissions for as long as I remember to get him to check it out and replace the fluid And he asked how many miles were on it at the time and I said 146k and he told me not to touch the fluid or anything. said with that many miles on it leave it alone.

Tapatalk Addict

MikesRammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
idk it doesn't feel like it does anything for a couple seconds, maybe like 10 and then it slowly gets back up to about 50 and once I hit 50 I can do whatever.

as for the fluid I took it to a guy I know who's been doing transmissions for as long as I remember to get him to check it out and replace the fluid And he asked how many miles were on it at the time and I said 146k and he told me not to touch the fluid or anything. said with that many miles on it leave it alone.

Tapatalk Addict

I've always found that to be bull. Mine is 188,000 and I changed my with no problems. Just don't get a flush

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
so you think the problem is the fluid needs to be changed?

Tapatalk Addict

DIPPIN04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine has been doing the same for almost a month now. brought it to several garages, including dodge stealership and they ran it throgh diagnostics, reflashed computer with updates, checked sensors and it still does it. they have absolutly no idea whats wrong with it. mines goin in again tmw n if i find any results ill let you know

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
thanks man I'd appreciate that. I'm thinking it might just be normal wear and tear but I'm not expert lol

Tapatalk Addict

DIPPIN04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
nah i think something just let go somewhere but its not throwing a code. cause it wasnt a gradual loss of power, just got on the highway one day let off around 45, slowly got back on her n she sat there at 1500rpm boggin till i was like 3/4 to the floor until it downshifted. its probably just somethin stupid, but what i dont understand is how dodge can build these trucks and then when something happens like this, not know what could cause it?... doesn't make much sense to me. just my 2 cents haha

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jesus. Mine seems to do the same thing. I always figured that it was because as I slow down it doesn't downshift so it stays in the same gear. When you step on it, it needs to kick down to a lower gear to get the power.
Does that make sense. I don't know how else to explain it. Not sure I am right, just my thought. Hope I am wrong and can fix it.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
nah i think something just let go somewhere but its not throwing a code. cause it wasnt a gradual loss of power, just got on the highway one day let off around 45, slowly got back on her n she sat there at 1500rpm boggin till i was like 3/4 to the floor until it downshifted. its probably just somethin stupid, but what i dont understand is how dodge can build these trucks and then when something happens like this, not know what could cause it?... doesn't make much sense to me. just my 2 cents haha

my does the exact same thing, same mph and rpms. I don't usually have to press that far down on the petal.

Tapatalk Addict

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Jesus. Mine seems to do the same thing. I always figured that it was because as I slow down it doesn't downshift so it stays in the same gear. When you step on it, it needs to kick down to a lower gear to get the power.
Does that make sense. I don't know how else to explain it. Not sure I am right, just my thought. Hope I am wrong and can fix it.

that seems like a logically explanation. maybe it's something to do with the kickdown lever? my truck does great when passing on the highway and accelerating exept at that 40-45 mpg 1500 rpm range.

Tapatalk Addict

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine too. I have always just assumed that it was because the lowest end of my 5.7's horsepower curve is in that 1500 rpm range. So I need to get it to kickdown to get the rpm's up to get to the power. This has just been my thought on it. I am certainly not a mechanic so I could be way off.

DIPPIN04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well to all that are having this problem... as many dodge haters say, sadly enough its just a dodge thing haha. Dodges shift differently than any other truck out there. I went down to a place ive heard can figure anything out after the dodge dealership couldn't evn tell me what was wrong. took it for a ride with a service guy and showed him my concern. look at him n say "man this cant be right, it started all of a sudden n it feels like im driving a 4cyl. take it back and hes explaining to me that the torque converter locks in at around 45 (like most vehicles) at a high gear (5th) at low rpms (the 1500 were all experiencing) apparently our trucks require more pedal to get the tranny out of this "lock in" thats whats making them feel as if they have no power when you steadily give it easy throttle. So at this point im thinking the guy is blowing smoke up my ass, and so i say, why did this happen all of a sudden then? if its "supposed to do this". He explained a lotttt of people much like me cant stand this and get a programmer to bring the lock in, in at a much higher speed that isn't usually reached so it basicaly eliminates it from the shift pattern. soooo the guy who owned it before had done this n my truck got reset somewhere down the road and i lost that program somehow, they couldnt really give me an answer how. I still had my doubts and talked to a guy at the shop who had the same truck. he threw me his keys with his truck at 10dte (a hemi thing haha) n said take it up the highway n see what it does. sure enough it does the same exact thing. made me feel 100% better knowing i wasnt the only one. a lot of people just dont notice it because they always have it to the floor. Figured id give me findings to all that were concerned about the problem. looks like a programmer is next on the list. sorry for the small novel haha. hope it helped.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
that's great info man thanks for sharing. what programmers are there with tranny tunes besides sc? iv been thinking of getting a shift kid put in at some point.

Tapatalk Addict

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
Another thing to think about is that stock dodge torque converters are crap by design. The fins tend to break away.

DIPPIN04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im not sure yet, havent really had the time to look into it. my buddy passed away in his viper truck this january and his brother might still have his programmer that he thinks will fit my truck as well so if i find out anything i will let you know

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
that's great info man thanks for sharing. what programmers are there with tranny tunes besides sc? iv been thinking of getting a shift kid put in at some point.

Tapatalk Addict

I recently recieved a SCT tuner from Hemifever and I know he resets the lock up on the TC. I'm hoping this will solve some of the same problem that I have. Dodges used to have a good part throttle kickdown, but since they have gone to lock up TQs and now OD they pretty much suck.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I recently recieved a SCT tuner from Hemifever and I know he resets the lock up on the TC. I'm hoping this will solve some of the same problem that I have. Dodges used to have a good part throttle kickdown, but since they have gone to lock up TQs and now OD they pretty much suck.

oh he does SC's now?? thats neat man, I got my sct from him, sucks the tranny tunes are SC exclusive. let me know how it goes buddy. Maybe in the future I will be able to afford a rebuild, new tqc, and maybe put in a hemi ratio kickdown lever. Sure that will take some months of saving haha.