Transmission OverHeat Problem (Done Everything)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, I have a 2000 Dodge 1500 2WD 46re transmission. Recently I dropped my transmission because my overdrive went out. The tail of the transmission basically melted together, mainly because I think it was my cat was clocked, so I hollowed out the cat before I installed my transmission back into my truck, but when I was putting the transmission back into my truck i realized that the transmission lines run very very close to the exhaust manifold. I kinda knew that it was going to be a problem from the begging, but I just ran with it because i didnt mess with anything when taking the transmission out. So at first I drove home from my shop which is about a 20 min drive, and about 10 15 minutes into the drive my transmission overheated. So i let it all cool down over night, and I went under the truck and moved the lines as far away to the exhaust I could. Then I was able to get a little longer (while i was driving steady at 50+, but when i was in town it would over heat very fast). I went on a trip to texas with my truck with the overheat problem, and it overheated a few times. When i was in texas I got a aftermarket transmission cooler, and i removed the check valve in the transmission line, and now it still over heats. When i got back from my vocation i drained all the transmission fluid out and put in new ATF+4 and i still have a overheating problem. But im kinda noticing that sometimes when the transmission says that its overheated my transmission shifts flawlessly. So i really dont know what to do at this point, any suggestions?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Firstly. do you have a trans cooler? If not, i'd get a large cooler, mines about 1/4th the size of the radiator, and stick it between the radiator and AC condenser. Then hook the transmission straight to the trans cooler and completely bypass the radiator. That will help immensely, you can also wrap the cooler lines with an insulating mesh. They sell insulating wrap for use on o2 sensor wires that you should be able to make work.

DodgeBen5084

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dudeman2009, good job reading..... fail. DanKing, check to make sure the filters in your pan are not loose. Apparently this can draw in air to the system and cause over heating. Or so I am being led to believe by the repair shop my truck is in currently.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Dudeman2009, good job reading..... fail. DanKing, check to make sure the filters in your pan are not loose. Apparently this can draw in air to the system and cause over heating. Or so I am being led to believe by the repair shop my truck is in currently.
So I might have been tired and missed a detail. No need to be rude about it.

There is one filter in the pan held up by two small bolts, it has a single gasket between it and the valve body. It's unlikely its loose unless it's been messed with, but sucking air can cause heat issues.

An easy way to check is to drive it for a bit until it starts getting mad, then check the dipstick, if there is foam on it, it's sucking air. If there is no foam, I'd keep looking.

Another possibility is if you ran the trans line first through the trans cooler then the radiator, the return fluid will always be near 150-200 degrees, when the engine is warmed up. Seeing as it overheats faster in town, I'd at least give that a look.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum

Hey, don't necropost and disrespect a senior member. Get the hell out if that's how you're going to behave.

Loose filter? It'll airate the fluid and cause it to not function at all before it'll overheat. Shop is leading you by the leash.

I would be suspecting a slipping torque converter tbh.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When you added the aftermarket trans cooler, did you eliminate the factory cooler? How do you know your transmission is overheating? What symptom tells you it's overheating?

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
But im kinda noticing that sometimes when the transmission says that its overheated my transmission shifts flawlessly.

This makes me raise an eyebrow. I'm not certain but don't the 46re trannies "lock out" third and fourth during overheating?

Should be possible to measure actual fluid temperature with an external tester much in the same way of measuring oil pressure with a tester threaded in place of the pressure sensor.

EDIT: Oh, just realized this is a several-month old topic...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye