Transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jakeduece

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Hello, my 1999 ram 1500 has a tranny issue, I took it on the freeway (normal not crazy driving lol) drove just fine. When I got off the freeway, I stopped for a stopsign and when I gave it gas I noticed it started feeling really heavy and sluggish, probably started in 2nd or 3rd gear. I floored it to see if it would downshift, but it remained in whatever gear it was in. I got it home (with that problem persisting) checked the fluid (warmed up, in neutral) and it was fine. I shut off the truck, Started it back up and low and behold it shifted just the way it should! I did some research and im thinking governor pressure sensor/solenoid could be bad? All the gears are strong and work well. This is the first time its ever done this to me. Also, my speedometer doesnt work until I hit 20mph, could this have something to do with the problem? The speedometer issue has been going on for quite some time so I dont see how it could effect things now. Please help, im going on a 300 mile rd trip in a week!! Thanks! :shocked:

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just dropped my pan on my transmission and changed both the filters, added in the right amount of ATF+4 tranny fluid till It was full.

Ive noticed a huge change in my tranny and the way it shifts, what Im trying to say is that the filters could be causing you issues, the fluid may cause the issues.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The speedometer part may be your PCM dying a slow death too. I would always start with new filters and top off fluid afterward as that seems to be the issue a lot of times. That solenoid should throw a code too at least it did not on my dads '98 last winter.

OP
OP
jakeduece

jakeduece

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
no check engine light, so I assume no codes? Just had a fluid change and filter change a month ago, with atf+4 fluid. Strange thing is, I drove it today with no issues at all! I will drop the pan next week, i have a new governor pressure solenoid/sensor coming in the mail. I'll post the results, any other ideas? Maybe I should change out the speed sensor too? I appreciate the replies!

OP
OP
jakeduece

jakeduece

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
fixed it. to those with the same problem replace your gov pressure solenoid/transducer. worked for me!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Good to hear

Did it fix speedo issue too?

$miley

OP
OP
jakeduece

jakeduece

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Good to hear

Did it fix speedo issue too?

$miley

nope, I had my codes read (since the key trick dont work for 99's apparently) and it turned out to be the rear abs sensor, which would make sense because the abs light is on now haha. my next project is adjusting the linkage for the 4wd, someone put it on and never adjusted it so in 2wd the shifter shows 4wd low