Transmission swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pete L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24 valve diesel
I am thinking about replacing the auto trans of my 2000 2500 diesel with a five or six speed manual transmission. Any genuine advice would be appreciated.

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My advice is do it, the 47re is a pile of junk.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You'll want to either rebuild the auto with quality components, or get yourself an NV4500 from a V10 or Cummins. To swap from auto to manual you'll need the pedal assembly to get the 3rd foot. There should be a plate that covers the hole for the shift tower, if not you can cut it out. You'll have a check engine light unless you get the PCM from a cummins with a manual, or have it programmed/tuned (not completely sure how the Cummins tuning works). You'll likely run into driveshaft length issues, I think the manuals and autos had a slightly different driveshaft length. You'll need the manual trans mounting bracket.

You'll also want to get a decent clutch.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Flywheel, pedal assembly and ***** cylinder, verify splines on t case, driveshaft will be the same