Transmission wont engage into any gear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monte-313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 liter
i gotta 99 dodge ram 4x2 with the 5.2 liter. the truck was slipping some going from 1st to 2nd. i did a filter and fluid change and it helped out some. now the truck wont engage into any gear. just sits there and accelerate. i notice if i pulley the cable at the throttle body it takes up the slack and the truck goes into gear. but it still dont go in to reverse. fluid is full but looks dirty also even after a pan drain and fill with filter. any pointers what i should look to???

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
If the fluid hadn't been changed in a long time, sounds like doing such has doomed it. Unless it's been serviced regularly, it shouldn't be done since any build up may be holding parts together inside to keep it performing normally.

OP
OP
M

monte-313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 liter
wondering if it needed some adjustments or something. to get me by

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Best bet, go to a transmission shop and see what they say. Be prepared tho, they'll probably tell ya your gonna need a complete rebuild....

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to the dealer and buy MOPAR filters and make SURE you have them on correctly. I literally just had the same problem with mine last week, because I bought filters from Autozone.