Transmission work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
How many have you have had something done? What were your symptoms, and the solutions? Complete rebuild of tranny with new torque converter? solenoid replacement? other part replacement?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Solenoid was the sign on 98 we had and since my dad kept driving and did not take it. Full rebuild or replace with used had to happen. We got one from a cash for clunkers trick $1400 installed.

$miley

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have yet to have any work done yet but mine seems to surge out and bog down from 2000 rpms to like 1200 once i hit like 50 mph but if i gas it a little harder it will accelerate fine and drive on.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I sent out abunch of email describing my issues and got a few good responses. I started emailing the big online retails of rebuild transmissions. the few mentioned on here. its was worth a try and a few replied with some good info.

the local shop, that puts adds on CL, has yet to reply.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I had an overdrive selenoid CEL for a couple years, then had a shift kit and all new selenoids done. Had I not moved that summer my tranny might have lived. Bu

But it didn't.:birgits_tiredcoffee

1800 bucks all rebuilt, HD clutches, new converter (lockout clutch facing gone) and deep pan. Still gets a bit too warm when towing large loads.

Needs gears.

OP
OP
wermbang

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Emailed a guy on craigslist:
He will take a look at mine for free to see whats wrong with it before too, I just need to get out there to him.

Pending on the condition of the transmission i can rebuild it for 600 plus a converter 120 for a dacco or you can up grade it (dacco is basically a stock dodge with minor upgrades). Billet converters run anywhere from 350 - 500. Or a lifetime warranty pure performance triple disk converter for 1300. Other than that a i would recommend a couple hundred dollars for aftermarket good stuff! This will make this transmission hold 500hp all day long and it will fix all of the factory "flaws" Either way i put a 1 year warranty on it but aftermarket parts will prolong the transmissions life!

OP
OP
wermbang

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
So no other 2nd gens have had tranny work done?

I think I am going to try and budget about $1200 for the rebuild/install. What do you think? I am hoping to have some extra funds thats why its at $1200 so I can use the rest for some tuneup stuff. and I figure a couple hundred for that stuff

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Okie, get a larger trans cooler and that should help you.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Okie, get a larger trans cooler and that should help you.

I have a 15kGVW cooler, deep sump pan, and a shift kit. The "warm surges" come from leaving stop signs/lights in summer traffic with the air on.
Gears help eliminate the extra demand put on the TC as it strains to pull my truck from a dead stop, especially with a load of wood.

Sorry for the "post jack" Wermbang.

Attachments

• DSCI0001.JPG
    DSCI0001.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
OP
OP
wermbang

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
nope your good, more tranny info in here the better

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I'm about to hit 160,000. probley the summer after this coming one I might get some work done to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I have a 15kGVW cooler, deep sump pan, and a shift kit. The "warm surges" come from leaving stop signs/lights in summer traffic with the air on.
Gears help eliminate the extra demand put on the TC as it strains to pull my truck from a dead stop, especially with a load of wood.

Sorry for the "post jack" Wermbang.

Ah 10-4 didnt know ya had that bad boy already on there.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I had an overdrive selenoid CEL for a couple years, then had a shift kit and all new selenoids done. Had I not moved that summer my tranny might have lived. Bu

what shift kit did you get?

I believe my problem is the solenoids or the valve body.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
what shift kit did you get?

I believe my problem is the solenoids or the valve body.

You know, I don't remember if its the sonex kit or ? I don't know if you'd believe this but most kits are made by one or two manufactuers and distributed through various companies. All work the same way as far as changing the third gear shift spring and removing or changing various pressure restictions in the valve body, allowing for harder shifting. You should get one that gives you options as far as shift firmness.

OP
OP
wermbang

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Well just got the call, my transmission is done, and the truck is ready to be picked up.

I got a new pan, new tranny mount, HD coolor, and HD clutches. I will list the actual names once I get the receipt