Truck acts like its running out of gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Title says it all doesn't matter what im doing the truck just falls flat on its face, i get off the pedal and it goes back to normal for a second then back on its face. Sometimes it runs fine too, heres my codes: Random misfire, 02 sensor, charging system low voltage( i think thats from my subs). These are the same codes i've had for a while due to the plenum gasket minus the charging system one. Not sure wth is going on. Leaning twoards fuel filter/ pump? i did let the gas get pretty low on accident about a week before this started happening.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Agree, sounds like fuel pump.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you ran it low, try a fuel system cleaner first.

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just replaced my IAC so i hope not, do you guys know off hand if oreillys will lend a pressure tester? Also what is the best brand of pump to get i know some of you guys have had problems in the past with certain brands.

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going to test pressure tomorrow if oreillys will lend me a tester. Also i'm leaning twoards IAC now my truck started up just now and idled up and drove fine until the first time i did full stop braking, then it was kinda ****** smoothed out for a while till my next stop. Usually the truck was not idling up at start up forgot to mention that. Also a couple different times my idle while in drive was like 1050 rpm.

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah i know i thought you guys were just unlucky though, nearest dodge dealer is about 70 miles away. is there any better brand i put napa on there but i have access to napa auto zone and oreillys here.

Trucker122106

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
My Baby/Devil

having same issues... hopefully one of us figures out where to hit the gremlin ....:)

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
To test the IAC, pull a line like the brake booster or PCV hose when its having problems. If the problems go away, its the IAC.

Testing the TPS can be done with a multimeter, probe from the middle wire to battery ground. The TPS must be plugged in with the truck on. Voltage should range from aprox. .5V t0 3.6-4.5V The transition should be smooth.

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
So when you are driving around it falls on its face and has no power with an idle issue?

First did you fix your plenum leak? If not replace your spark plugs and save to fix the plenum.

How did your fuel pressure test go?

Lets start with the easy and cheap thing first? When is the last time you did plugs, cap, rotor, wires? At least check them if its been a while, cap and rotors can corrode pretty fast given the right conditions.

Which O2 sensor are giving you a code, the upstream, or downstream? If its the upstream replace it and fix any pre O2 sensor exhaust leaks. If its downstream its only there to monitor Cat efficiency and wont effect anything.

Go to the parts store and have them load test the alternator, incorrect voltages can really screw with these systems sometimes.

Does your cat rattle or make noise, how long did you drive with a leaking plenum?

I had a Jeep that had a crack in the exhaust manifold pre-upstream O2 and it dumped massive amounts of fuel into the system because of the false reading. It overheated the cat which melted and started to rattle and plug up the exhaust, it would not idle for **** and had driving issues. New header, O2, cat, muffler and it drives like a new Jeep.

Trucker122106

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
My Baby/Devil

My alternator died on the drive home today so I would venture to say that was a large part of the problem, and the error codes I'm getting are saying the o2 sensor is bad, but I only have one o2 sensor, don't know if that is a problem or not, but the one that's usually after the cat isn't there.

1stDodge98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What kind of header did you put on there max . Mines doing the same thing on idle it sounds rough when you start it cold then when it warms up it will smooth out . Lately it's been falling on it's face while driving like I'll ease into the gas an let the rpms build an even then sometimes it will stumble an pop from the pass right side an I have to either let off or work through it however long it takes for it to return .

I know I have a plugged cat for sure but I'm not sure what else may be going on . I just bought my first Ram three days ago. It's the 5.2 with 166xxx

Please help folks . I'm gonna replace the plugs an wires in two weeks an the cat in a month I'm just nervous that it won't clear it up. When it first did this it threw amtwo codes p0135 an p0138 which were both 02 sensor codes.

Even with a clogged cat it will rev all the way up in park ( I've read that it sometimes won't rev past 3 if it's bad ) but when I get on it sometimes it fights me or just stumbles as I described .

Just Easing into it it runs well but anything past 1/5 an it just has a tough time of it

Tomorrow I'm gonna try an remove the 02 sensor pre cat an see how it does then

chrisakers63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ive got a 1999 ram 2500 5.9 gas that had low fuel pressure 10#, replaced pump and still only getting 10#, they warrantied pump & this one only gets 16#. ive checked injectors for any leaking by, & none are, checked voltage to pump & have 12.5 key on & 13.2 running. I have tried 2 new pumps by two different manufactures & still have low fuel pressure. Any one have any ideas ? seems unlikely to have 2 new pumps be bad , but stranger things happen

Trucker122106

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
wohooo.. im happy now

got all the check engine stuff to go bye bye.... replaced the o2 sensor and the tps sensor and the alternator.....no more cel...woootttacular wooootage...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam