Truck stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok decided to take the Ram for a drive last night after work and drove normal for around 5 minutes then stalled at a light. It restarted after a couple minutes and then did it again a few miles down the road and eventually restarted and got her home. I was able to replicate it after about 5 minutes sitting in the driveway.
No codes, can hear fuel prime when trying to restart, coil ohmed out good. I'm thinking crank position sensor or is there something else I should check before I start throwing parts at her?
At work so won't be able to do anything until afterwork but was going to pick up ckps on way home unless yall think I should try something else first.

OP
OP
J

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok called around on ckps, $100 at dealer, $50 Autozone. I know it's worth it to use Mopar parts on iac and tps(ask me how I know lol) , does the ckps need to to be Mopar as well?

OP
OP
J

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would although I've had good luck with autozone parts as well

Yea I'm leaning toward just getting Mopar so I don't have to worry about changing it again being as its a pain in the ass to get to

OP
OP
J

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went with the Mopar part and got it installed yesterday. Took truck for a drive and think it fixed the stalling issue.

963184x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2L Magnum
Fixed with crankshaft position sensor

(This is a long one. 2:30am nothing better to do.)I leterally just registered to answer this whether im too late or not. Im 17 and have a 96 1500 with a 318 4x4 automatic transmission. I have come to learn how to a few things myself on my truck mechanicly. Mine was having the same issue stalling out at the most random embarrassing places. Check engine was on ever since i bought it last novemeber so didnt pay too much mind to it. It started getting worse and more frequent. Until finally i decided to replace the fuel pump. Now im sure most Ram owners may know they arent exactly cheap mine was around 215 after taxes. And thats because i have a discount at my old job still. Any who the problem still occured and i was PO'd. So i then decided to get the check engine looked at by autozone. So i did and it actually ran a code or whatever for the crankshaft position sensor. At first i had no clue what the hell that was or where it was at. So i asked to see one and i did they brought one out of the back and brought the book out but it the book wasnt clear enough so i asked if they could look under the hood and just point at it if possible. So they did we walked out I popped the hood up and he pointed toward the location but i was still dumbfounded. I went ahead and went home without it. Now honestly YOUTUBE ill say played a pretty big role in this situation. This guy said he tried it from underneath and above the engine and it was a pain in the ass both ways so he took the passenger tire off amd the fender well off and could reach it there pretty easily which made alot of sense to the point of thinking thats how i would do it. Oh by the way its on the passenger side literally right next to the transmission dipstick tube. That can be your guide. But i glanced at that spot and what i was going to do and immediately said "hell no" no way. The space is too small to put my hands and even a rachet or wrench in there. BUT i did figure out where it was located. So what i did was decided to go with the underneath method. The top method wasnt gonna work cuz its too far down to reach or even see. Now i honestly changed mine out in under 30 mins. I swear i thought i would be there for atleast a few hours. But nope i amazed myself. What i did under neath was layed parallel with the passenger tire but behind it so it was pretty much in my face i was right under the main frame. I could look up and see it perfectly and reach around the frame and literally touch both bolts with enough clearance for a wrench and see the wire where it went around the distributor and pluged up with the main harness. I did use a jack to lift it up about 3 inches for head clearance from the frame in middle of the truck just so First thing i did was grab a 1/2 inch ratchet wrench which is what the guy on youtube said was the size and sure enough it was i had a plus because i had ratchet wrenches. Any how i loosened and removed the one on the right first examined and then the other on the left same thing. Before i pulled the sensor out i did alot of feeling and looking at how it went in and where the wire ran. Also before i unplugged anything i asked my grandfather who actually has taught me alot of mechanics to feel this one plug on the driver side right behind the head cover and hold it because i was goin to yank on it to see if it was the right plug sure enough i got down the same way grabbed the wired gave it a tug and he said yup thats it and i went ahead and unplugged it and immediately plugged the new one on and threw it behind the engine around the distributor the same way i could imagine it was originally. Remember i havent yet removed to original one. So i threw it back as far as i could while being on top then crawled back underneath and could see the new one so i got enough slack to get it in place to replace the new one and i pulled the old one out and dropped the new one in, hand tightened the bolts. Then tightened with my wrench. That was it. All under 30 mins. Probably took longer to read this then if i was to do it again. I immediately cranked her up and let her idle for a about 5 minutes then drove around about a total of 5 or 6 miles trying to get that stall out even let go of gas to idle all the way to stop sign hoping for that typical stall i was used too. And nothing i sat there for a good 30 mins turned the radio on texted the old lady for a bit and the whole time it was on no stalling or loss of power. BUT the engine light was on still which worried me so i popped the hood removed both battery terminals and put them back on. And turned the key the typical seat belt light came on the oil light flashed but no check engine light. And still off and im on the second day from installation day as im typing this right now. No more stalling. Whew.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
(This is a long one. 2:30am nothing better to do.)I leterally just registered to answer this whether im too late or not. Im 17 and have a 96 1500 with a 318 4x4 automatic transmission. I have come to learn how to a few things myself on my truck mechanicly. Mine was having the same issue stalling out at the most random embarrassing places. Check engine was on ever since i bought it last novemeber so didnt pay too much mind to it. It started getting worse amd more frequent. Until finally i decided to replace the fuel pump. Now im sure most Ram owners may know they arent exactly cheap mine was around 215 after taxes. And thats because i have a discount at my old job still. Any who the problem still occured and i was PO'd. So i then decided to get the check engine looked at by autozone. So i did and it actually ran a code or whatever for the crankshaft position sensor. At first i had no clue what the hell that was or where it was at. So i asked to see one and i did they brought and brought the book out but it wasnt clear enough so i asked if they could look under the hood and just point at it if possible. So they did we walked out I popped the hood up and he point toward the location but i was still dumbfounded. I went ahead and went home without it. Now honestly YOUTUBE ill say played a pretty big role in this situation. This guy said he tried it from underneath and above the engine and it was a pain in the ass both ways so he took the passenger tire off amd the fender well off and could reach it there pretty easily which made alot of sense to the point of thinking thats how i would do it. Oh by the way its on the passenger side literally right next to the transmission dipstick tube. That can be your guide. But i glanced at that spot and what i was going to do and immediately said "hell no" no way. The space is too small to put my hands and even a rachet or wrench in there. So what i did was decided to go with the underneath method. The top method wasnt gonna work cuz its too far down to reach or even see. Now i honestly changed mine out in under 30 mins. I swear i thought i would be there for atleast a few hours. But nope i amazed myself. What i did under neath was layed parallel with the passenger tire but behind it so it was pretty much in my face i was right under the main frame. I could look up and see it perfectly and reach around the frame and literally touch both bolts with enough clearance for a wrench and see the wire where it went around the distributor and pluged up with the main harness. First thing i did was grab a 1/2 inch ratchet wrench which is what the guy on youtube said was the size and sure enough it was i had a plus because i had ratchet wrenches. Any how i loosened and removed the one on the right first examined and then the other on the left same thing. Before i pulled it out i did alot of feeling and looking at how it went in and where the wire ran. Also before i unplugged anything i asked my grandfather who actually has taught me alot of mechanics to feel this one plug on the driver side right behind the head cover and hold it because i was goin to yank on it to see if it was the right plug sure enough i got down the same way grabbed the wired gave it a tug amd he said yup thats it and with ahead and unplugged it and immediately plugged the new one on and threw it behind the engine around the distributor the same was i could imagine i was originally. Remember i havent yet removed to original one. So i threw it back as far as i could while being on top then crawled back underneath and could see the new one so i got enough slack to get it in place to replace the new one and i pulled the old one out and dropped the new one in, hand tightened the bolts. Then tightened with my wrench. That was it. All under 30 mins. Probably took longer to read this then if i was to do it again. I immediately cranked her up and let her idle for a about 5 minutes then drove around about a total of 5 or 6 miles trying to get that stall out even let go of gas to idle all the way to stop sign hoping for that typical stall i was used too. And nothing i sat there for a good 30 mins turned the radio on texted the old lady for a bit amd the whole time it was one no stalling or loss of power. BUT the engine light was on still which worried me so i popped the hood removed both battery terminals and put them back on. And turned the key the typical seat belt light came on the oil light flashed but no check engine light. And still off and im on the second day from installation day as im typing this right now. No more stalling. Whew.
3/8" ratchet, 6" extension, 1/2" 6pt socket. 10 minutes on mine lol. I go over the top and I'm a scrawny **** so I just lay across the engine and reach.
Nice job though, stick around here and you'll learn more.

963184x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2L Magnum
Thanks brother! Yeah man im 6'2" 240. Im too big to be reachin down breakin my neck like that lol