Truck stalls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone ever have a issue of the truck stalling while driving it? I have power and it will crank, but won't start. after sitting for a while it starts back up. The hotter it is outside the more it does it and the longer it take to start working again. it died on me twice today and I only drove about 30 mile there and back. it was fine to my destination, but died twice on the way back home. both times I was able to pull off into a shady area. i depressed the fuel rail connecter and HOT fuel would flow out. anyone have any ideas on what to check for?

thanks,

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
The CKPS, once it starts to breakdown in the heat it gets worse. You should also test fuel psi at the rail should be 49psi give or take 5psi +/-.

Edit; I better add the ign coil, both parts are cheap but the CKPS is a pita to get to, so maybe start there.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A clogged cat will produce the same symptoms. It will run fine for a short period of time until the exhaust can no longer pass through fast enough to allow the motor to run then it will shut you down. With time, the exhaust dissipates from the cat and allows you to drive again.

OP
OP
D

dmanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The psi is fine and the exhaust is new. someone else suggested the CCPS, maybe i should start there. Is it a real pita to change. some guy told me it took him about 20 min.
anything else i should look for?

Thanks guys.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
It is behind the passenger head in the tranny bellhousing and you are working blind.

Also this should be a Mopar part only! Do not get aftermarket CKPS many have had issues with them.

Edit to add pix

On the right side of the motor, see the part with the wire going to it= CKPS

14_zpsa104114d.jpg

CKPS_zps50aebf8d.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dmanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Crap, now i remember seeing it when i swapped the engine.
anyone interested in a well used dodge ram?
so, how do i test to see if the issue is the CKPS or the fuel pump. When this happens and i turn the key to the on position, i cannot hear the fuel pump motor, but it's usually happens while i'm on the freeway so it's hard to hear with all the traffic noise. If the CKPS is out of wack, will it cause the fuel pump to not engage?
Thanks for all your help.