truck stalls out when brakes are applied

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
today i got a call from my father. he wanted to start my truck because it hasn't been started in a few months. i told him sure. so he did and i got a call back a half hour later. he says it runs fine when its started and it runs fine when gas is applied but when you go to touch the brake. it stalls out. im not home right now so i cant take a look at it and i cant get to it till the weekend but im thinking electrical or vacuum. are their any known problems that exist with this problem? thanks

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Welcome to RF.

These trucks don't like to sit that long without being ran, chances are its relearning (pcm). Take it for a hours drive and see if that helps.

swillest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does it really re-learn the PCM? Because everyday my truck drives with more power.. after I fixed the electrical problem. It would only fire 5/8 cylinders due to a distributor cap, and now that its fixed, sometimes it acts funky.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
There are many ideas about what it takes for the pcm to relearn, 200 key cycles, hours drive, drive it like you stole it while its relearning and many more. My trucks pcm relearns in about 20 min but its the Mopar performance pcm so not the same as the rest. I suggest to most drive for an hour the way you would normally drive it, ditch baging it does not make any difference whatsoever.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Supposedly you can start the re-learning process in the driveway by holding the engine at 1000rpm and putting different loads on it, then drive it.

At least that's what my Dodge-driving mechanic co-worker has done.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ As I posted many a way is told.