Truck threw a rod. New engine or new truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jared.hammel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
I have a 99 1500 4x 4with the 5.9. It threw a rod through the engine. I paid 1500 for it and have another 1500 in replacement parts in it. Should I go ahead and buy another engine or just give it up? The truck has 235K miles. No slipping in the trans.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need more info. Sport, SLT, Work Truck? Quad Cab? I see it's an auto, but is it power windows, locks? What kind of condition is the truck in? Dents, dings? Interior condition? Ball joints, tie rods, steering box, bushings? Tires?

The 2nd gen half tons are unfortunately a dime a dozen. Finding one in good shape is a challenge, however. If exterior, interior, and overall condition of the truck is good, then I'd suggest rebuilding it.

Ultimately it comes down to what you want to do.

OP
OP
J

jared.hammel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
Need more info. Sport, SLT, Work Truck? Quad Cab? I see it's an auto, but is it power windows, locks? What kind of condition is the truck in? Dents, dings? Interior condition? Ball joints, tie rods, steering box, bushings? Tires?

The 2nd gen half tons are unfortunately a dime a dozen. Finding one in good shape is a challenge, however. If exterior, interior, and overall condition of the truck is good, then I'd suggest rebuilding it.

Ultimately it comes down to what you want to do.

It's a Sport Quad Cab not a work truck. Power windows/locks. Exterior is in decent condition with a few larger dents (I pull 2 of them myself). Interior just needs a new dash cover. I replaced the upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, front wheel hubs and breaks, and Cat back exhaust. Also plenum gasket and plugs, wires, and dist cap/rotor. Does need new tires. They are about 30% tread.

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 2500 5-speed, soon to be leveled on 33's
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'd say look around on craigslist, see what trucks are going for around your area in your condition. It really all comes down to whether you want to stay second gen, which I always encourage, or not. If you do, you then have to decide whether you want to part with your truck or not. Finding a 360 really isn't hard around here, and I'm sure it won't be around you as well. So then comes to whether you install the engine yourself/with some buddies or have someone else in the area do it for you. Might as well do any mods you want done to it while its out and easy to get to.

basically what I'm saying here is it all depends on what you want to do. lol there's no wrong answer here

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jared.hammel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
I'd say look around on craigslist, see what trucks are going for around your area in your condition. It really all comes down to whether you want to stay second gen, which I always encourage, or not. If you do, you then have to decide whether you want to part with your truck or not. Finding a 360 really isn't hard around here, and I'm sure it won't be around you as well. So then comes to whether you install the engine yourself/with some buddies or have someone else in the area do it for you. Might as well do any mods you want done to it while its out and easy to get to.

basically what I'm saying here is it all depends on what you want to do. lol there's no wrong answer here

I'm gonna keep it and throw a rebuilt engine in it.

What kind of mods would I need to do while the engine is out?

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Might want to look into intake, search m1 intake on the forum.

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
$500ish(roughly) used off eBay.lol

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Lol used on eBay is 500 lol what's the modified jeg I read about?
Usually more, now that I think about it..lol

I don't think those are really for sale, black magnum found it didn't he?

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 4bbl m1 intake with an adapter plate is not a bad alternative to the m1 and they're often cheaper. Like 3-400$ cheaper depending on the 2bbl m1 available at the time.

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=72606

anything these guys say on this thread is pretty good advice. Merc, dodgedude, bbartow, dapepper&others all know what they're talking about on these trucks.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Usually more, now that I think about it..lol

I don't think those are really for sale, black magnum found it didn't he?

Think he meant modified KEG. Modified keg is when you pull intake manifold off for plenum repair and in the process, you cut down the runners 1.5-2" and polish the ports up a bit. Only really flows line 10cfm more on a flow bench but you keep your low end torque and get more usable power up to about 4k-4500

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
gotcha.I remember Cody linking something but I never went and looked at it

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Something you can do to test a junk yard engine is bring oil, a battery with some starter wiring and a compression test with you to the yard. Make sure fuses are pulled on ignition and fuel of junk truck, put oil in if there isn't any, and jump the starter off your battery to crank it for compression test

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Also for mild performance on the cheap, you can put a 318 cam in a 360 with some 1.7 roller rockers, headers, and pull a throttle body out of a yard and cut it out yourself

OP
OP
J

jared.hammel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
Also for mild performance on the cheap, you can put a 318 cam in a 360 with some 1.7 roller rockers, headers, and pull a throttle body out of a yard and cut it out yourself

Hopefully the college of Google can help me with that ha ha