truck uns good then bogs down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xevrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2 v8
i have a 99 5.9 quad cab auto 2wd i can be running down the road just fine and then all of a sudden the truck starts acting weird and starts bogging down like it is starving for fuel it just loses power and everything. now the truck has no cats and has true dual exhaust as for o2s i think it has the front one but not sure i just bought the truck and have not had much time to get under it due to weather. thank you to who ever is able to help me it has thrown to codes one is o2 code and other had to do with idle

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am pretty sure a missing O2 sensor will cause the truck to run rich, maybe even enough to flood it, bogging it down. Another possible cause is a fuel pump/filter issue.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Get a fuel pressure gauge and measure the pressure. Should be around 49 psi at all times.

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
Our crankshaft position sensor went on one our(my dads) older trucks. It would work great for a week and bog down at random.
Apparently when the signal from the sensor stops, it shuts the fuel off. It was a late 90's model. Never threw a cel. Shop and dealership couldn't help us.

The two guys above really know there stuff.
Good luck getting it sorted out soon!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
xevrek

xevrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2 v8
thanks for the info ill check the fuel pressure out and get back to you and ill also check on the sensors to see if they are on the truck or not if not where can i get o2 deletes or whatever they are called.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You don't delete the O2 sensors, they are integral in the PCM tuning the A/F mixture.

OP
OP
xevrek

xevrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2 v8
ok so update i got the fuel pressure checked and it reads at 44 psi and the parts store showed it should be between 35-45 psi so i guess im good i have yet to check the o2 sensors i was wondering if it may be the crankshaft sensor i was reading that the crankshaft sensor can cause some of the issues im having any ideas from anyone on this thanks again

OP
OP
xevrek

xevrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2 v8
so how will i know if it is bad when looking at it im clueless to this stuff i know basis stuff and all but i have no idea how to check if stuff is good beside going to the parts store

OP
OP
xevrek

xevrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2 v8
ok i will give it a try i bought the cps already just in case so heres hoping i have this figured out it does sound like that in the video with out me messing with it just not all the time so i figure mines going out slowly thanks for the help