True dual exhaust system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HardXcell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a stock 2001 ram 1500 4x4 extended cab 5.9 I live in NY and was told I can't run full headers and true duals because I will not pass ny state inspection is this true??? I know the space underneath with gas tank placement makes it tricky but it can be done

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No idea if you can or not. Have you checked the state regs or talked to a state inspector?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I dont live there, but I dont see why you couldn't run true duals as long as you run it with an X pipe and two cats. Regs may require that you put the O2 sensor on the X pipe in order to measure the entire flow of exhaust, so long as the x pipe is after the cats. They are pretty strict on the emissions side of things, but not so much as California. You can run true duals in Cali, at least my cousin does on his Charger, but he also has 4 O2 sensors, two up two down.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Full length headers fitment can be a real ***** with the front driveshaft. Better off with spintech mids or shorties on the factory y pipe and split it from there. You will need to incorporate the 02s and an x pipe. Unless you're going for the sound single pipe with fake duals performs just as well

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Full length headers fitment can be a real ***** with the front driveshaft. Better off with spintech mids or shorties on the factory y pipe and split it from there. You will need to incorporate the 02s and an x pipe. Unless you're going for the sound single pipe with fake duals performs just as well

Thats what i've done, mostly because I don't really want to pay for true duals. I run duals from the muffler back, and it still sounds nice and throaty in the low rpms.