Trying to increase the fuel economy on my 2001 5.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmahaffey2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum 318 c.i.
I was looking into increasing my fuel economy, I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 5.2 4x4 5 Speed with 62,000 miles, considered an air intake, chip, throttle body, etc. Anyone have some input?

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For what you spend on the mods to get better mpgs you will never make back in fuel savings to justify spending spending the $$ on those things. Like said you will only get a few more mpg with those mods. Unless you plan on keeping the truck for 10+ years then you won't see your money back in fuel savings.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
^^pretty much. anyways a good rule to go by is more air=less fuel=better mpg. I know their is a lot of variables but for starting out that's a good beginner equation to go by. that's what I did anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
just watch how you drive. be very easy on the throttle. that is the best gas saver. these old magnum motors just get crappy fuel mileage.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I would say a tuner like a SCT would be your only mod. You could do an exhaust and air intake, but the tuner resets your entire ignition/ MPI system. Still you might gain jus a couple mpg. But you'd get your money back quicker than what an exhaust or intake would give you.

Other than that... drive easy, max the air pressure in your tires (and don't run mudders), keep your front end aligned, don't keep excess weight in your truck, and don't lift it because that ruins your aerodynamics.

Edit: I'm looking at purchasing a sct with tax money...will do a writeup on it.

Last edited: